Belt driven happy time engine ??

GoldenMotor.com

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
Hey guys.
I was looking the otherday at the rack mounted 4 stroke kits that are belt driven and thought that would be a good idear becasue its would put alot less stress on the rear wheel.
But i dont have the money at the moment to buy a kits like that and i love the reliablity of my happy time.
I was thinking is it possible to use my happy time kit and replace the kogg on the engine with a belt pully and the big belt driven "thing" on the back wheel?
so it would be similar to some of the wizzers?
and if so do u think i would be able to clutch start the engine with a belt driven drive train?
Thanks Duncan

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Re: Belt driven happy time ??

My only response is "Why"???
HT's are very inexpensive & reasonably reliable in their stock form... run it the way it is, & enjoy it!! daxtit

80ccspeedster

Jul 28, 2008

I love my chain and sprocket. Besides versatility on the kinds of speed you can achieve with them, it looks cool, like motorcycle.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado

You would be able to climb walls with the crazy gearing a belt drive would give you. From what I see in common belt drive arrangements to get the same gearing on a chain drive would mean a sprocket of well over 100 teeth. The HT engine is already well geared then add a belt drive looped around your back wheel taken off a GEBE or a whizzer and you'll be screaming at an incredible 5 miles an hour. But it will pull.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

You would be able to climb walls with the crazy gearing a belt drive would give you. From what I see in common belt drive arrangements to get the same gearing on a chain drive would mean a sprocket of well over 100 teeth. The HT engine is already well geared then add a belt drive looped around your back wheel taken off a GEBE or a whizzer and you'll be screaming at an incredible 5 miles an hour. But it will pull.
Large, Large...you're killin' me here...and I know you know better! Think about it for a moment. It doesn't matter what the tooth count is...it's the ratio! A 250 tooth driving cog to a 1000 tooth driven cog is a 4:1 ratio. A 10 tooth driving cog to a 40 tooth driven cog is a 4:1 ratio.

Belt or chain makes no difference! It's the ratio from the engine to the rear wheel that counts.

Jim

Last edited:

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane

im just trying to find a way to get my back wheel to stop buckeling under the sprocket that is clamped onto the spokes and iv also got a sprocket bolted onto the disc brake spot and it still happens.
How do u guys avoid this?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

im just trying to find a way to get my back wheel to stop buckeling under the sprocket that is clamped onto the spokes and iv also got a sprocket bolted onto the disc brake spot and it still happens.
Oh me...

Post photos if you are able...It will help to figure out what's going on. Be sure to show pics of any parts that have failed.

Jim

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida

If the problem you are having is with the spokes, try wire tying the spokes together where they cross each other. Really strengthens the spokes by supporting each other..shft.

http://motorbicycling.com/f31/how-tie-spokes-780.html

Last edited: