Long distance travel

GoldenMotor.com

hj630

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
I wonder if the 80cc kit on ebay is good for long distance travel in a day, like 180miles?
Also, does anyone know how long can a 2L tank travel with 80cc engine? like approximate value
thanks,

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I wonder if the 80cc kit on ebay is good for long distance travel in a day, like 180miles?
Also, does anyone know how long can a 2L tank travel with 80cc engine? like approximate value
thanks,
The so called 80 motors are really about 66cc and they would not be a good choice for 180 mile days.

What are planning that you would be riding 180 miles and how many of them?

The 2L or half gallon tank would go about 50 to 60 miles.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
That's about 8 hours of saddle time... the lil engine could probably do it if you ride it gently but you'll need a comfortable cruiser seat. I've got about 2000 miles on my first china doll but it took me about two years to go that far (hundreds of little trips) mostly to work or the beer store, etc..

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
this all depends on how well you build it, how well broken in the motor is before the trip, your weight, and how hilly the roads are along the trip

I'd try it expecting to use 3 to 5 tanks of fuel, and holding speed to 20-25mph, about 10 or 11 hours for the trip. [carry tools, spare tubes, spare parts, & fuel]

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
180 miles a day on a bicycle? That's an ambitious goal, for sure.
Like was said, you'll need one heck of a comfy seat and don't abuse the engine. I've done several 60 and 70 mile rides in a day with no issues but I build my seats for comfort. I also use large motorcycle style fuel tanks that hold over a gallon, in one case 2 gallons.
The Chinese 2 stroke engine, if set up right and treated with care can easily carry you 180 miles without troubles but there are other aspects you'll need to consider such as wheel bearings and proper chain lubrication. Good tires are also important.
Let us know if you try your extended run.
Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
oh boy....... only 180 miles....LOl!

Seriously, that is a very ambitious endeavor and a challenge on several levels that have already been mentioned by others here, these are voices of knowledge and a huge amount of experience with the " China Girl"/ "Happy Time" 2 smokers, I do want to add something here that will seem like promotion and that's because it is plain and simple and also what I consider from my experience to be good advice although not the Holy Grail that should be etched in stone by any means...LOL!

OK, personally based on my recent experience, I would highly recommend using a better China Girl engine than what you will find on ebay, Neil aka MotorBicycleRacing & Duane aka Thatsdax both sell kits and engines that are better built and better balanced than what I have had from the the ebay engines, which I currently have 5 of, I also own 3 of the better balanced engines which also have better bearing and the better balanced crankshaft, this makes them a much better engine in my opinion and because the hardest working parts of the engine are higher quality I see no reason why this wont make them hold up better long term in whatever type riding someone does, because of the better balanced crankshaft they are much more comfortable running engines do to much lower felt vibes on the bike frame, do they cost more? YES...! in my opinion are the extra $'s warranted? YES...!

The other parts to consider for better reliability are good quality gaskets that have been sealed with a quality sealer used on the intake gasket especially...., a well tuned carb and everything adjusted properly and all bearing such as wheel bearing lubed with a high grade grease such as Lucas Red Tacky Grease and not just a cheap multi purpose grease which wont stay nearly as well, heavy thorn resistant tubes in the tires which should also be in good shape, lights and reflectors front and rear of bike and a rack to carry extra fuel and one very important thing is at least one rear view mirror on the left hand side of bars so you can easily see at a glance any traffic that may be coming up from behind, people on a cell phone can easily swerve over and hit you from behind if you aren't paying close attention, I see these morons texting and driving and running all over the freaking road all the time from center line all the way to the shoulder, use a mirror and look at it often......

Well, hj630 I know it may seem like myself and other are mentioning many things here to consider, but it isn't at all meant to discourage you at all, we are just simply speaking from experience and want to make sure you understand what you will be getting into on such a long trip with a china girl engine on your bike, its a very doable trip if things are done right and you have a good engine that is set up right and tuned well from the get go, as it was mentioned I also agree that the engine should have a couple hundred (150-200+) of good break in miles on it before a trip like that is attempted, 200 miles of break in and tuning time will let you know how prepared you bike is for the trip and give you time to work out the bugs that (Will) arise with bike or the components of the engine or kit parts, if the install is done right there will be very minimal issues to correct most likely but there is almost always some tweaking here and there that will need to be done to get the build as reliable as it can be, re-jetting the carb is a must on all the engines, they come jetted way rich and it hurts power and performance big time, but it's a very simple process and there are several of us here that can help advise if need be, just read read read, here on the forum, and use the search feature to look for information on any questions you have, there are loads of info that will help you get things done right the first time.

Sorry for the book here, but I'm a bit long winded and just wanted to ring in here and cover everything I could think of and repeat some of the other good advice that has already been spoken here.

Best wishes and a big welcome to our great community, you're in a great place among some great people who really love this hobby and will help you in any way they can to make sure you have a successful build that you can enjoy.

Peace, Map (^)

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
well my dax 70cc takes me 20 miles round trip every day !

longest i have been was a 120 mile round trip .... 60 miles up to my dads and 60 miles back all in one day !

i can tell you this, that on long rides after you have broken the motor in.... you will begin to notoice strange sounds and wierd noises as you ride, this only happens on long rides when you listen to the sound of the motor continuasly. you start hearing things change in sound and tone and you think somethings wrong but there is nothting wrong lol you will even pull over and check her out because you will feel like its loosing power or not reving right or alll that lol it usually happens on long rides and its normal the tone of the motor will change and sound differant as yo ride but rest assure its your mind playing tricks on you and everthing is fine !

just use a real good oil and watch the tempature !

for a long distsnce ride ..... make shure the motor is broken in, then mabey a light port and polish to clean her up a lil, then a high comp head will help out with over all power if your looking for a little more and a free flowing exhaust is first on your list.

trust me with some minor porting a high comp head and a free flowing exhaust, the china girl is a joy to ride ! i cant ride a stock motor now lol i just cant stand it ! i love the way they ride rev and sound when modded

ditto on the comfie seat 2 door mentioned ! i use a avia gell seat thats verry wide and i love it ! also think about a rear rack and maybe a cargo bag ! its important that your handle bars and seat are fitted to you and are comfy, your gearing needs to be set up to make it easy to pedal when motor is off, also after every long ride check out and lube up your chains and sprockets and especialy your bttom bracket and hubs !!!!

if your useing beach cruiser as your frame you will want to keep close attention to your rear coaster hub ! cheaper ones tend to burn up after about 1,000 miles of motorbiking, mine was a walmart bike and the rear hub wore out after about 1,500 miles and squeeled .

just pull the rear hub appart and regrease it after a long ride like that your hub will thank you !

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
... (hundreds of little trips) mostly to work or the beer store
LOL, AMEN!

I put about 10-miles on a day, although the weekends see about 50-miles. I've used my baby as a daily-driver for well over a year now (even in snow and rain), and she's held up excellently; this was only after the many heartaches of newbieizm: I've found that our builds evolve around our needs, and you'll go through a lot of heck and broken rings before you figure each other out. My longest trip was about 90-miles (over 5-hours) from central Long Island to Bridgeport Connecticut (via Queens and the Bronx) when I missed a ferry. I am happy to have that little journey under my belt, but wouldn't want to do it again! A leisurely 20-mile round-trip suits me just fine: I'm the limiting factor, not my China Girl.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
180 miles? How about nearly 1000? > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=50417 :)
I realize it was a 4 stroke engine but still a motorized bicycle.
Tom
after just ten miles my rear end , wrists and hands are almost completely numb!! & I mean uncomfortable numb

Okay okay okay ..just a lil 2 stroke ... the'll be no more CARRRRR!!! but you may feel a little sick .. can you start up, start up ,start up ," no" I don't believe it's working ..good . That ll keep you shelling out the doe ..come on it's time to go.. there is no spark my bucking bar's receding .. a distant slip out of my clutch pads........ IIIIII have become uncomfortably numb
LOL ...