Sprocket adapter on small hub

GoldenMotor.com

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
My bike has a smaller diameter hub than the typical shimano or whatever. It is close though. Mine measures 1 7/16" diameter. That's pretty close to the 1 1/2" that would accept most sprocket adapters.

Would I be able to use a strip of steel or aluminum as a shim to make it work? Or is there a concensus that that would slip and wreck my spokes?

.spr.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
My bike has a smaller diameter hub than the typical shimano or whatever. It is close though. Mine measures 1 7/16" diameter. That's pretty close to the 1 1/2" that would accept most sprocket adapters.

Would I be able to use a strip of steel or aluminum as a shim to make it work? Or is there a concensus that that would slip and wreck my spokes?
Sprocket adapters need a very close fit to grip properly and not slip.

Your shim material would have to sized accurately to adjust for that fit.
Pretty close = slipping and wrecked spokes.

Believe it or not but Manic Mechanic used to offer a service of machining
sprocket adapters for a custom fit for most hubs for about the same price
as a stock adapter.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Thanks MBR!

I can get shim material in the right thickness. Once I make the move to a sprocket adapter, I'll give it a try. Maybe assemble it with retaining compound to lock it in.

I have to calm down my spending soon. The wife is going to get suspicious. :)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks MBR!
Maybe assemble it with retaining compound to lock it in.
what the **** is retaining compound? :)
Sounds like a really bad idea.

You could try putting in the shim as well as "bedding" it with some JB weld or other epoxy. Just an idea...
Another really bad idea that won't work.

IF you are going to shim the adapter it will have to be done very
accurately so the adapter grips properly.
Also use a cheater bar on the allen wrench and really crank them tight.

Last edited:

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Or maybe I should just find a modern hub...

I've already had stitches in my face from a bicycle. I don't feel like doing that again.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
It worked!! I found an aluminum tube from mcmaster that was the right wall thickness and had nearly the correct diameter. I split it and used it as a sleeve. No retaining compound was used! I must admit that I did order it special for this project...

The combination of the better centered sprocket, and beefier chain made the bike so much better. I used to have issues with the chain jamming at the engine. No more!

In the process, I also broke the spring on my chain tensioner. D'oh! I Will be getting a new spring, but zip ties work for now. It sounds scary, but there's a backup for the backup for the backup zip tie. I have a total of 7 of them on there. It does look like I need to snug them up. They're breaking-in nicely. lol

The sprocket adaptor, 36 tooth, and #41 are a great combination!

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Ok. It's been a week or so. I've been riding a few times with the new setup. I still love it. The shim is still working well. I just wanted to provide an update.

One thing that I recommend is to use a perm marker to mark the hub and the adaptor. If the marks move, you will know that the apadtor has shifted on the hub. This will identify spoke issues before you start to bend the spokes.