What kind of kit is reliable

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I'm thinkin with the shock in the frame like that the chain's gonna jump off so I'd reccomend a friction drive from Dax http://thatsdax.com/

Ha Yank beat me to it but yea what he said.
on this bike I would have to give the nod to www.staton-inc.com
as he has the most options on parts to get the rack to fit right where Dax has only 1

but either way dax or staton your $300 is just not going to be enough $$$

pradeepbhat92

Aug 3, 2011
michigan
I haven't gotten the bike yet i just like this one the most I want to make it inframe somehow mounted to the top right corner of the inside frame instead of the usual bottom left corner like most people do.

I've seen one person do it can't find the pic though.

otherwise im just getting the roadmaster and do a budget build.

Also how much hp/torque should i be looking at to get to a speed of 45? I'm 165 lbs.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
So, if you need to go 45mph, I don't think a motorized bike is the right choice, especialy on a budget. Maybe you should consider a motorbike or scooter that is designed to go that fast.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
#1 check you local laws reguarding a motorized bicycle not the laws for a moped
#2 build following those laws
#3 carry a copy of those laws with you
above all else ride like everyone is out to kill you!!! when you tangle with a auto the auto ALWAYS wins

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
My 150cc scooter barely goes 45 mph and it has the suspension for that bicycles however are not built for that kind of speed...the mods you'd have to do would make it not a very good bang for your buck. Most states that's illegal anyhow. For a daily commute I reccomend a friction drive on a road bike. Very reliable & easy to build.

pradeepbhat92

Aug 3, 2011
michigan
alright so I've been looking at friction drive kits and from what i understand you can use any engine you just need the kit?

Also I heard slipping occurs in the rain any ways to avoid that and also how much of a reduction in speed does that mean?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
The main 2 types of engines are chain drive (usually the cheap china HT kits for around $200) and the friction drive which has a 78mm clutch where the engine mounts into the side of the drive. There are also kits like the EZ q-matic and the grubee 4-G. Here is a vendor that offers all 3 : http://www.piratecycles1.com/skyhawk-gas-engine-kits.html

http://www.piratecycles1.com/66bienkit.html

Hope this clears things up there are a lot of variables some guys get real creative...really comes down to how much you want to spend and what type of bike you are going to build on. Most are built on beach cruiser type steel framed bikes.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Pradeepbhat92.

I would spend some more time in this forum. I mean really spend some time. Go through pages and pages of posts. I'm personally not a big fan of friction drives. Dunno why, I just don't want one. I like the infram design. Again, dunno why??? You can get a jack-shaft kit (allows the bike to run off the crank (where you pedal) but with freewheel where you're feet aren't moving, just the chain. You can just install a regular chinese engine (a regular 2 stroke in frame). they're not built from the best material, but if you know what you're doing (because they're pretty simple), you can get a lot done.
Also, there are many 4 stroke options.
So, if you take a few good hours, and look at people's posts, you'll have a lot of fun learning, and pretty much know what to expect, and what to order.

You'll get one main thing from almost everyone in this site, though. Stay away from Kingsmotorbikes and gasbikes. Those are websites that sell the engine kits, and are known for pretty lazy customer service.

All these kits are pretty much the same. I can't tell you this kit is better then this kit. But, the customer service is where the the real advantage is.

Also, I wanted my first build (a 100$ walmart bike) to go 45, too. Now, doing 25-30 is pretty scarry to me. Because it's a bicycle. It's made to go from your house, to a place pretty close by and back. Not to haul butt down any street. With that being said, be happy that you have a bike that works and that is safe. I can go over 30 on my bike, but I am very comfortable with 10-15. I know if I hit the brakes, I can stop in enought time not to kill myself, or others.

The real joy, though, isn't just riding. It's building. So, get a good bike, get a good motor kit, and have fun building it.

Cheers.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
alright so I've been looking at friction drive kits and from what i understand you can use any engine you just need the kit?

Also I heard slipping occurs in the rain any ways to avoid that and also how much of a reduction in speed does that mean?
Well, from my experience, speed would drop from 25mph to about 10-15mph. Supposedly, if you pushed down on the roller enough it would not slip, but I could never get it to work though. It rains a lot where I live so I switched from a friction drive to a GEBE belt drive.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I had a FD and liked it very much. I think if you let the air down a bit, clamp the thing in place then air the tire back up it would not slip. I don't remember mine slipping much but I wasn't where it rained much. Then again my weight of 240 (might have been 260 back then) surely had the same effect of increasing pressure against the roller so it didn't slip. I think it works alot like a fan belt on a car if it's loose it's gonna slip. I've seen videos of FD running in snow obviously getting snow into the roller.