Schwinn OCC Chopper 3 speed brake hub

GoldenMotor.com

elecbudman

Dec 1, 2011
St. Louis
I'm a Newbie building a motorized chopper with the Grubee 66/80cc motor with my 14 year old son. Wanted to install disk brakes on both wheels and thinking about installing the Super Fat Extra Wide Sturmey Archer SX-RK3 Hub. Anyone out there running on this hub? If so how is it holding up and did you have to respoke with new spokes or did it fit with existing spokes and wheel?

I understand the electric bikes tear them up do to high torques. Please give me any feedback! I dont want to waste money on something that dont work and I want this to be a one of a kind! Open to any ideas from recent builds!

Thanks
St. Louis, Mo.
Budman

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi and welcome BudMan, Bud is my beer of choice as well ;-}

So you are going to Jackshaft an electric motor on a Stingray?
I fixed a guys that just tried to build his own direct drive.
Yours is a very ambitious project.

I don't know that 3-speed model myself but I have built a dozen shifters and the two things that will kill any bicycle shifting hub up is dropping the clutch trying to pop a wheelie, or trying to power shift.
Enjoy the gears, just don't expect them to hold up like a motorcycles gears and don't ride it like they were.

elecbudman

Dec 1, 2011
St. Louis
Thanks for the welcome guys! I was going to use a Grubee 66cc with the 3 speed SA. I know the electric guys have not had too much success do to high torgue issues of their motors. Thanks for the input I will check the brake section to see whats going on there.