Bike Project

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Has been a long time but I want to get this close to correct as I can. I hope this picture came across. Slow learner on computers for sure. Looking for a little feed back.

Attachments

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I was going to mention the seat and other things but was trying to learn how to send pics and hurried a little. Working on a lay back seat post and it will have fenders. I just have read so many horror stories about fenders, I am going to be sure the ones I have are stable. I still have wires to connect etc. Thanks anyway, appreciated.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Well attached fenders shouldn't fold up on you. Use the round, higher quality fender struts.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Good looking build. Since you asked, here are a few ideas for your consideration:

- Add a front brake. I have a similar bike and the coaster has worked well for me, but at speed it can be slow to stop you and there are many horror stories when they fail. A front caliper brake is cheap insurance.

- As previously mentioned, be sure to fortify the front fender. Having a ski for a front wheel if that thing comes loose and spins around is not a good day.

- Spend extra time making sure the drive sprocket<-->chain<-->rear wheel sprocket are perfectly aligned. Saves all kinds of problems later.

- When you are done with the everything else, shorten up those cables. Easy to do with a dremel cuttoff wheel.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Yeah, ddesens, I just noticed that slip of the digits too. I have some spare bikes that I can rob brakes off. Guess it would be best just to change out the wheels for the flat sided rims. Not real sure the stock rims would be a good base for braking. Have to research that too. Thanks guys.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Those painted wheel do ok with braking but not as good as Aluminium wheels, I have a Huffy Karaoke with painted wheels just like yours and I have a front caliper brake on it and it does help a lot but if you were to put flat sided wheels on it or especially Alum. ones you will for sure have much better braking ability.

Now, all this said........the wheels you have will still be ok with a caliper brake on the front, any extra braking ability at all is a definite help and I do just fine with mine and I cruise at 30-32MPH and can hit close to 40MPH and still stop pretty quick if I need to, just gotta squeeze very hard on that front brake because the brake pads dont grip real good on the painted wheel.

Peace, map

.wee.

Yeah, ddesens, I just noticed that slip of the digits too. I have some spare bikes that I can rob brakes off. Guess it would be best just to change out the wheels for the flat sided rims. Not real sure the stock rims would be a good base for braking. Have to research that too. Thanks guys.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It will be a nice looking bike when you're done!

Lotta good advice there, especially abt the brakes.

I am going to put front suspension on mine very soon...
rc

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Have a mountain bike with a disk brake on the front. I was thinking of swapping fork wheel brake etc but I hate to mismatch the wheels . Have a good caliper ready to go too. Thanks for the input. Now I got to go back into the carb and make sure the little slotted washer is on the proper slot------got to look that one up again. Second or third from the top?????/

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Second from top is how I always run mine and it works great there for me, I have my main jets in my three engines soldered and redrilled with a #73 bit and that has mine tuned good for where I live here in central Texas, the elevation here is 1,242 ft ASL.

Best wishes with the rest of your build.....cant wait to see the finished product.

Peace, map

Have a mountain bike with a disk brake on the front. I was thinking of swapping fork wheel brake etc but I hate to mismatch the wheels . Have a good caliper ready to go too. Thanks for the input. Now I got to go back into the carb and make sure the little slotted washer is on the proper slot------got to look that one up again. Second or third from the top?????/