Big beauty genisis onyx

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I really wanted to do this bike, but:

-needs handbrakes
-modded mounting procedure
-aluminum frame (not too much of a problem, but not as safe as steel :/)
-going to be a bit slower than a 26"

among other issues.

But if you get it running, hats off to you man! I can barely get my 26" cruiser going, but it's my first build too.

Good luck!

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
I really wanted to do this bike, but:

-needs handbrakes
-modded mounting procedure
-aluminum frame (not too much of a problem, but not as safe as steel :/)
-going to be a bit slower than a 26"

among other issues.

But if you get it running, hats off to you man! I can barely get my 26" cruiser going, but it's my first build too.

Good luck!
Lol slower then a 26? More like faster

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think it is a great bicycle to motorize. Nice and big. I have two bikes both made by Kent bicycles. I think they make really good low, and mid range bicyles. They've been in business over 100 years.

My main concern, as always is with the motor side final drive. I don't ever want to have to use a rag joint.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
Ya they certainly do make great bikes. Im just a little concerned about the fenders. They not strong and i dont feel like goin head first into the pavement cuz of that. Is there anyway to make them stronger without having to weld them? And the someone said the handlebars were to big for the throttle. They look fine to me but i could be wrong

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Ya they certainly do make great bikes. Im just a little concerned about the fenders. They not strong and i dont feel like goin head first into the pavement cuz of that. Is there anyway to make them stronger without having to weld them? And the someone said the handlebars were to big for the throttle. They look fine to me but i could be wrong
Some ideas,

Cut the fenders shorter. Try rubber mounting them. Make different mounts. On one of my bikes I installed a rear rack, and partly mounted the fender to the rack.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
thx! and what i was mostly worried about was just how i can move the fender to the side by pushing it to the side. it seems to me that the vibrations of a motor could do that just as easily lol. and u got any ideas about the handle bar issue? i saw someone that didnt have a problem with it but then someone said they did.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
thx! and what i was mostly worried about was just how i can move the fender to the side by pushing it to the side. it seems to me that the vibrations of a motor could do that just as easily lol. and u got any ideas about the handle bar issue? i saw someone that didnt have a problem with it but then someone said they did.
Don't the handle bars taper to normal size at the grips?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have done the face plant thing due to fenders. Not fun. Now I drill holes in them and use ubolts. Works great and can be made to look like stock.

http://motorbicycling.com/f11/fender-fortification-fun-23421.html Just my method and there are a ton more by some really gifted builders.

fender - Google Search

Read a few of the horror stories. Scary stuff. I can't suggest strongly enough, take em off if you can't shore em up right away.

That is gonna be a beautiful MB!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Because of the structural integrity of a 29" bike, it rolls better, but it is slower.

Here's proof:

‪The 29er debate‬‏ - YouTube

It'll definitely feel awesome, and you can roll over pretty much anything without getting thrown off though. Bumps, cracks, rocks, small children....
For peddleing thats true, but all other things being the same the 29er will be faster than a 26" MB because the gearing will be taller.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Ok. Well either way, I hope you get it done without a lot of problems. I started building my 26" last week and still haven't finished :-||

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
Ok. Well either way, I hope you get it done without a lot of problems. I started building my 26" last week and still haven't finished :-||
thanks for the support! and i dont think i will. ive been planning this project for a couple months. been researching a ton of a crap and i think i know all the problems that will occur. sprocket wont fit to 48 spoke but ill just use six of the 9 hole. the tank wont fit so im gonna drill into to the from to get it to work. the tube are big so im gonna have to get the universal mount. and then handle bar diameter is too big so im gonna cut off the ends and weld the ends of another bikes handles bars to them. its gonna be sick and i cant wait to show it off!;)

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
sounds like you have found most of the snags in this build coulple of things to try
1- use smaller bolts on the rag joint ( for the 3 hole you have trouble with ) helps
2- try a new set of bars ( nice set short of BMX style) bars work very nice ! stock bars are a lt of work to get the controls working
3-tanks mounts work very well with the hardware store couplers

a rider in our group built one of these with a 4 stroke and YES it is slower out the gate but I will not try to catch him when its wound up hes GONE
Hope this helps I will try and figure out how to post pictures and show you how nice the build turned out