hi, newb here trying to learn

GoldenMotor.com

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
i was wondering what a good cruiser starter bike is? saw some schwinn and cranbrook and i cant decide.

also i was wondering if i could put wider tires on stock rims?

also ive been reading that the stock rims on these bikes are garbage? if so whats a good cruiser that comes with good wheels?

thanks,
bobby

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Bobby Welcome to the forum glad you joined us.

I have built both Cranbrook and Schwinn and the Schwinn had a little better components on it in my opinion.

As far as the stock wheels; I have had some that last thousands of miles. I have also had some that only lasted 20 miles. But when it comes to after market wheels for a cruiser I really like the husky wheels.

bicycles, tricycles, industrial bicycles, industrial tricycles, bicycle parts, tricycle parts

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
they seem like good wheels. but i need a drum brake in front and rear. id like to get 26"x2.5" but i cant find a place with pre laced wheels. also did you replace the wheels with wider ones?

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
for the front i will be running the monark springer forks. and how wide till i run into issue in rear? will i need a wider crank?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I advocate Schwinn, and Huffy, also till I saw the junk that Wally world is selling. Check out Electra, and others. I know that the first time bike is very important. Roland makes a good bike also. (c)

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
very cool to know. but they have bikes for 750. i wouldnt pay that. ive been looking local for a used cruiser and ill keep you guys updated. my budget is 700 and i have alot of tools. i need a bike, forks, wheels/tires, some kinda brake, seat, grips, paint and metal. and of course engine and all supporting parts. ive been running numbers and i should be able to build my picture perfect bike. and im leaning toward a cag motor from a pit bike. but it looks to be too wide for in frame mount. but well see once i get a bike...also are parts from a schwinn interchangeable with a worksman? like sproket pedals forks? thanks everyone on here for great info

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
i just bought a local worksman industrial newsboy. rides nice heres some pics ImageShack Album - 3 images any info on motorizing these bikes would be nice or some on bike itself. thanks everyone who shared info this is a great bike

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
A good quality cheap bike is the Schwinn Jaguar. $150 at Target. I built two of them 3 yrs. ago. Sold one after it had about 1500 miles on it. Retired man runs it all over town in the summer yet. Ol' blue I ride in the winter or bad weather so it gets abused. My 200lb son rides it in the summer No idea how many miles it has on it now but is good for 5 to 10 miles a day without a problem. Tail light and head light run off the motor so no batteries needed. With the icy streets in Billings MT I run studded tires.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
i just bought a local worksman industrial newsboy. rides nice heres some pics ImageShack Album - 3 images any info on motorizing these bikes would be nice or some on bike itself. thanks everyone who shared info this is a great bike
Congratulations that is one sweet looking bike. I know a lot of folks like to set the seat as low as possible for a Board Track look. I got to say from a peddling stance I really like these bikes. I think ya did good(^) Looking forward to the build

I typed worksman industrial newsboy in our search engine might goes through these pages.
worksman industrial newsboy - Google Search

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey bobby,
You've got yourself the foundation for a really great motored bike... strong frame and wheels. There isn't a lot of room for an engine without frame modification other than a China Girl. Even that is tight, but will fit and looks good since it fills up the space nicely. Take your time and have fun!
SB

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
frame shouldnt be a big deal. but fitting the cag motor might. has anyone on here attempt this? i want it to be in frame too. also how can i extend the crank to clear wider motor? and thanks for post i think worksman was a great choice

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wide Crank Pedal Kit [4S-CDS-WCPK] - $29.99
This is the only one piece extra wide pedal crank I know of. I've used a couple of these on other builds and it's a good unit. The only other option is a three piece crank which requires an adapter kit. You can also sometimes get away with bending a stock crank depending on how much clearance you need. Can't advise you on a cag motor.
SB

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
thanks silver. do you guys know what widest tire i can run on stock rims? and are the rims 26"?

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
You should have no problem getting a 26X3.0 on a stock 1.75 rim. I have 3.0 tires on stock width 20 and 24" wheels. The problem you are going to run into is drive chain clearance. Caliper brakes may cause another problem. I have had that problem with 2.125 cruiser tires(chain rub). One cure, drive sprocket placement and motor offset from center. My cure was jackshaft and gears, disc brakes. Cycles U.S. has the 3.0 tires. I am sure many other places do too. Also, the adaptor kits to use a three piece crank have worked good for me. Then you can use a sealed cartridge crank bearings. They come stock, wide one side or both.