Dumb Question about Handle Bars

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan1

Mar 4, 2009
Arizona
I have a Motiv 8r bike but I hate the handle bars currently on it. How interchangeable are bike handle bars? The one on there now is basical straight and I want one that would be higher so I wouldn't have to bend over so much. I am 6' 4". Thanks!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is real easy to swap em out. One bolt. Here are some sites. http://www.google.com/products?q=cr...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQrQQwAA Ya could also buy an old beater bike at yard sales for nothing and get some spare parts. Here are some vids on changing em; YouTube - replace bicycle handlebars The right handlebars make a world of difference. Given your height, I would consider a laid back seat post as well. With the engine doing the work, no need to be directly over the peddles. Best 2 bangs for the buck comfort wise and both are very cheap.

No dumb questions. Always helps others when some one asks so folks can find the information they are looking for

Last edited:

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Well Dan today I'm following you LOL Michigan1 to answer your question I echo Dan check out some garage sales, Flea markets, Salvation army, even Craigslist. You can find something real cheap there and exactly what you are comfortable with. You can even check out (window shop) your local bike stores to find what you are comfortable with, and if you like the price you can buy then if not you have a better idea what you are looking for and a basic cost range to judge by. As far as changing them, well that's not hard at all. you can use the references that Dan has provided.

And The only stupid question is the one not asked. If you have questions, we have answers. (where have I heard that before?) Just remember you are asking people who are going to give you answers based on experience, not on text knowledge. Everything we have learned is by trial and error. Yes we are a proud bunch, and we might stick our chest out a little further but we have earned that right here.
Welcome to the forum, and the addiction...Enjoy the ride! =)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I didn't watch Dan's vids so maybe this was covered but when changing handlebars one important thing to keep in mind is the length of your cables. You don't want to replace the bars with ones you really like only to find that your brake/clutch/shifter cables are too short. Of course you can always replace the cables with longer ones but for some folks money is a big issue even though they aren't that expensive. Just my thoughts.
Tom

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
See what I mean about the type of answers your gonna get. Thanks 2door that part completely slipped my mind. And fairracing31 Your example is perfect as that's exactly what I have done. If you have any more questions please let us know.

And thanks for covering my back guys.

Here's a pic. of what I ride. I have changed the lights since then, those were experimental.

Attachments

Michigan1

Mar 4, 2009
Arizona
I was looking at BMX type handlebars online and that looks like a good way to go. How do get that installed since you have that straight bar up above the main handlebar? Does it install after you get the rest installed or ?

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
your stem has to have a clam shell setup to put those on or you'll have to not have the straight bar on your handlebars...that will allow your bars to slide on...Dennis...go to the site i told you in the beginning and you will find the bars you need and it shows you a pic of a clam shell stem..OK>>>

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just so you know this is not a dumb question. A dumb question would be "Which way should my handlebars point, forward or backward?" :p