Upset About Fixing My Pipe

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
So i got one of those sbp expansion chamber wich im sure most of you that have used them know how great they are, the first time i put it on i didint secure it properly it was wigling back and forth and with the heat it distorted the copper pipe, i went to the local harwearstore bought some new cooper pipe fixed her all up but i had forgot to really clean the surface were the gasket sits against the ehaust port (a little bit of the old gasket was stuck on there) and the pipe was leaking a bit there and also were the cooper piece was cuz i had burned my silicone the first time around, the bike was a little noise but ran its best it had great pick up and still got in the pipe once i picked up i have a 50 tooth sprocket for the winter so this thing was just great, finally last weekend i decided to get off my ass and fix it properly cleaned the area were the gasket sat siliconed it got some muffler rap to cover the cooper pipe and so on the end resul a nice quiet bike no leaks but lost a bit of power down low, it still gets in the pipe once the engine picks up rpm but of the get go its just not the same and i cant drive myslef to make it leak again anyone else had this problem :(:-||

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The difference in speed between a leaky system and one buttoned up tight would be so marginal as for me to think it just might be a placebo effect caused by the noise level change. Something very similar to me happened when I first added a remote airbox, then later extended the silencer on the SBP pipe - both times the significant reduction in noise convinced my brain that my engine wasn't workin' as hard and that I must be going slower... except my GPS told me it was all in my head.

Given my brain's poor track record and it's propensity for lies regarding such things - I would believe my GPS lol

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I actually got rid of the copper pipes and replaced them with a pc of alum bike frame that i cut off an old bike seat downtube.

Then i use the seat tube clamp to clamp the pipe to the header.

I also took off the stock silencer and replaced it with a lawnmower muff the long type about as long as the silencer.

This puppy really rocks.

I used some all thread bolted too the kickstand hole and bent it to go to the pipe bracket.
That way the pipe is super tight and no movement can occour.

Also that muff is alot louder and sounds like a monster engine I love it.

But then again i do have a monster engine.