New Hub Kit Installed. Few questions.

GoldenMotor.com

chained

Nov 9, 2014
United States
I ordered a 48v 1000w hub kit from ebikeling. Spent about an hour and a half getting it all installed.

Using 4 12v SLA batteries on the rack jerry rigged with bungies. I plan on getting a storage box to enclose the batteries. I do plan on upgrading, but will have to save up first.

1. How much of a difference would it make it one pair of the batteries had a different aH rating? Two are 9ah and the other two are 10ah. They are in series and have a 40A inline fuse.

IMG_20141222_152340.jpg

2. Would it hurt to lay the batteries on their side? Would make for easier placement on the rear rack. I figured it wouldnt hurt since they are sealed, but i wanted to get some feedback.

I took it out a few times briefly, and it is fast!! Very strong acceleration from start and it just keeps climbing speed. I was not able to let it wind out yet. Will hit a longer road tomorrow with a speedo to get some readings. I will also look into getting the batteries lower to get rid of the top heaviness.

Im at a good starting point. The only issue I have is that I can only charge 2 batteries at a time. I have a 24v charger that came with an eZip bike. Ill look at the chargers at Harbor freight tomorrow and see what they got.

Ill have some build pics tomorrow. I worked on it into the night. Was rewarding.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm no expert. But I believe you can lay SLAs on their side. Though you might want to look them over and be sure they're really sealed and have a non-liquid electrolyte. They almost surely are. But a double-check wouldn't hurt.

I laid some SLAs on their side a handful of years ago on an old Currie and rode it for some time with no troubles or battery damage that I could tell.

I might even have some photos on this computer that show how I mounted them. Let me have a look here.....Yes. Here you go.
Currie battery mount.jpg

The battery packs are cheap lunch boxes from a big box store. These particular ones had an opening at the bottom that'll open up and accept a battery. That black strap was to keep the battery from pushing it's way out through that velcro opening. Then a second batter went into the top section. The yellow strap snaked up and through the rack, giving the whole thing reasonable strength.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
No problem laying the SLAs on the side most the days are AGM. The AH difference wont matter its so close. I have 2 Ebikling kits and they are good quality. I run my 48v@ 62v off the charger. The caps in the controller are only 63v and they have yet to blow, but I expect they will. I have a 60v controller on the shelf when they do. Its quite quick on 62v.
You should be able to charge all four batteries at one time grouping them as 2) 24v packs with the 24v charger. will take a good while though.

Last edited:

chained

Nov 9, 2014
United States
Cool. I had them on the rear rack in an aluminum case, but I dont like how its top heavy. Trying to figure out how to get them lower. I was thing about saddlebags wrapped over the rear rack.

dfdf.jpg

I cant wait to be able to afford a lighter battery solution, but I also fear the horror stories of people burning their houses down.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I agree that having the pack lower would be better, but its difficult to do with the size of SLAs. I have ridden bikes with a lot of weight carried similar to where your pack is. After riding it a bit its not too bad. My wife rides an Ebike with a similar pack(36v, 3- 12ah SLAs) in the same location with no problem. BTW my house hasn't burned down yet.