Leaking fuel

GoldenMotor.com

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
I'm leaking fuel in the filter (? not sure what it is called) that is in middle of fuel line. I'm also leaking fuel like crazy around the carburetor and the black round piece that the throttle control line attaches to. I've attached pics.

Also, after removing back tire to put on new sprocket assembly parts, the back tire is wobbly after I put it back on even though I have tightened the nuts as much as I was physically able to.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looks like your float is stuck open. It is in the bowl, underneath the carb.

Will find you a "how2" for that. One sec.

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
I will check it out re the carb leaks. But what about that fuel filter thingy? Do I need a new one? If yes, where can I get one other than bikeberry as I now hate them. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, gotta hate that.

Naw, is fine (fuel filter) and you don't need a new one. They last a good while.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your fuel filter is in up-side-down. Fuel entering the filter should be on the outside of the filter element. Not the inside. You should also eliminate the 'loop' in the fuel line. It should be a straight shot from the petcock to the carburetor.

You should easily be able to see what is leaking. Dry everything off with a paper towel, turn the fuel petcock on and watch to see where the leak starts.

My feeling is the leak is at the petcock where it threads into the tank. The fuel is running down and dripping off the filter.
If the carburetor is leaking the float valve is plugged with trash or the float level needs to be adjusted.

Regarding the second photo; get rid of the small spring on the clutch cable between the cable guide and the clutch actuator arm. It serves no purpose except to make the clutch harder to pull. Leave the bigger spring. It is a heat shield between the cable and the cylinder cooling fins.

Tom

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
THe filter is prolly OK, Get better fuel line, And yeah, put the filter on right, BUT first, BACK FLUSH it with gas IF ya just turn it around, ALL the trapped crap will flow right into the carb. BETTER yet , Buy a new filter, $3.00 at kragens in small engine dept.

Jonda500

May 10, 2014
Canberra, Australia
Re wobbly tyre- after attaching the sprocket to the wheel by clamping the spokes between the two rubber rings with the nine bolts it is common for the wheel to need a tune up, because the spokes on the sprocket side will end up tighter than they were before clamping the sprocket to them. Normally this just pulls the rim & tyre a little to the left so I dont know if this helps... Did you tighten them a little at a time crossing from side to side rather than working your way round in a circle?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
FD!!! Where the heck ya been? Great to see ya Buddy

============================================

All great advise Karen and think it is correct that the likly cause of the leak is in fact from the tank.

But am thinking with 2 injuries to your wrist, you're having trouble getting things tight enough? Would make sense. Do ya have a buddy nearby who could possibly double check for tightness?

not to repeat my self but 9 out of 10 folks put the fuel filter on as you did and is not a big deal, as FD said, really won't hurt any thing as is. The reason for direction is as the gas cascades over a Christmas tree shape, the particles and "schmutz" (hehe, the technical term) have a larger area to collect on. Reversed, it works like a coffee filter and all the crapola collects in one place. So the filter needs to be changed faster. But don't hurt any thing as is.

====================================

FD, it never dawned on me that just reversing em would unleash the stuff your trying to keep out of the carb. Been not warning ppl for yrs, LOL. Wheres my sign?

Cool and thanks for that bit of very important information!

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah DAN, I learned the old fasioned way about those filters. By cleaning a BIG PILE-O CRAP outa my carb.laff. I wuz wundering where it all came from all of a sudden like that:-||. BUT, she runs GREAT now. Going for a little ride MAN-yanna. ( If I can swing this old arthritic leg over the old girl somehow,HAHA.)
Fatdaddy.

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I actually didn't build the bike, I bought it that way, but good to know about the filter being on backward and that I should make straight line on fuel line instead of loopy.

Thanks everyone!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hey, Special K. I did not know you did not build/assemble your bike.

Majorly important, take pictures of absolutely every thing and post. Thing is, ya just don't know what the builder didn't know or thought was good enough! I been at this for around 10 years and learn some thing new at least once a week after dozens of builds. That and have seen some really scary stuff. One "profesional" sold a kid a MB with the engine secured with hose clamps!

In the approximate 10 years, have never seen a rag joint fall off. I still can not figure it out.

Post lots and lots of pictures! Really and please.

Also, if any one of us is near you, try and meet up some time or go to a group ride. If no MB events are near you, set one up. Great fun and many minds make great and safe MBs.

To set up a ride and meet other MB folk, just start a thread in the events section and meet up at a park. They really are a blast and MB folks are fun. Really nutz but fun.

Like Kiosk said, I to am mightily impressed with your tenacity and refusing to give up! I've seen grown men want to cry at the frustration. But when ya "win" and she runs & runs well, a big ol' high and good, good feeling.

Just purty cool and keep up the good work!