New to this

GoldenMotor.com

BurdDawkins

May 19, 2014
Bozeman, Montana
Hey, I'm 23 and I live in Montana. The laws here are pretty lax, and the cops are even more lax. Though you can only legally ride a 49cc motor; lots of garage-made-sellers advertise that their chinese motors are 66cc.

After years of mild research, and intrigue, I'm ready to dive in and make my own motorized bicycle.

Currently, I have a felt cruiser coming into a local bike shop, and I am seriously considering taking the full plunge and going for a DeNardis (probably aircooled) set.

I suppose my first question to everyone would be: "Is the off road bicycle adapter kit really all you need to mount this to a bicycle?"

Looking foreward to hearing from the pros, and riding my bike

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A DeNardis will require completely custom mounting, designed, manufactured and installed by you.
Judging by only reading the ad on the DeNardis site, the off road bicycle adapter kit only has a few well needed parts that will help make up a portion the overall parts list required to create a complete motorized bicycle.

For an engine of that caliber, front and rear disc brakes are a must!
Add in a radiator of appropriate size (with mounts that you create and install yourself), upgraded wheels, ect and the list grows on...

The end result will be well worth the effort!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your project.

Unless you have some experience with fabrication, welding, metal working and engineering, I'll have to say that you have a very ambitious project planned.

We have no way of knowing your skills or experience so we can only answer your question as honestly as possible. This will not be a bolt-on installation. You will have to design and make engine mounts and if the bike frame is aluminum, you'll need to be proficient at welding that metal. Even if it is a steel frame it will also require custom made mounts.

We're not saying your plans are impossible, just that it is not going to be the easiest project available to the new builder. You'll also want to addres the fact that you're putting a lot of horsepower onto a bicycle. Brakes, bearings, rims, spokes, tires and other aspects are all bicycle quality. Keep that in mind as you plan of powering it with close to 10 horsepower.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The DeNardi is not a bolt-on. If you need a bolt-on kit, its better to go with a China girl 2T or Huasheng 4T kit. The China girl can be hopped up with bolt-on parts and some dremel work.

BurdDawkins

May 19, 2014
Bozeman, Montana
Thanks for the input!

On that note, I'm looking at the EZM kit, and there are two HuaSheng kits on Bicycle-Engines.com

I haven't found any reviews on the motor that is included in the EZM kit, but I might just not me looking in the right places.

The pricier one on Bicycle-Engines comes with a T-belt, and though I've heard nothing but good things about T-belts; do they really justify an 80 dollar increase?

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
If you want to do a custom project at some point in the future, you may also consider a larger displacement 4 stroke, such as the 79cc Predator available at home depot. The >100cc 4 strokes are mostly bolt-on applications, and all the parts you need are readily available, such as a motor mount and a drivetrain, referred to as a jackshaft, that will provide gear reduction. There are also other products available at www.affordablegokarts.com. It's still not cheap, but nothing custom ever really is. But like I said, these engines are mostly bolt-on.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The engine that comes with the EZM kits is a HuaSheng 142f with a 5/8 output shaft.
It is the same engine that comes with the Bicycle-Engines dot com 4GT belt transmission.
It is a very good engine.