No Fire

GoldenMotor.com

MikeinNM

Nov 17, 2013
New Mexico
The ignition went out after about 10 miles. I replaced the magneto and t:-||he CDI box and it ran about .5 miles and quit. No fire again, any suggestions?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your wiring connections. If you are using the kit supplied plug-in connectors we suggest you eliminate them and solder the splices and protect with heat shrink tubing.
If you have the kit spark plug boot they too can be a source of trouble. It should be replaced with a good automotive quality boot and a spark plug with the top cap installed.

Keep the magneto dry. Seal the area where the wires exit the engine case and make sure the cover has a gasket and is tight.

Good luck. Let us know how you're doing.

Tom

MikeinNM

Nov 17, 2013
New Mexico
I have already done all of that, I think they are just very poor quality parts. I have also eliminated the kill switch. I tried to get voltage straight off of the magneto, there was no voltage, by spinning the tire with the plug out.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
seems likely that only 2 of the 4 parts you have are bad - if you have no one else in the area to help you test with another bike, then you need to read here about testing the magneto (easy to test & sometimes easy to fix) and testing the CDI (hard to test, since it may spark but at wrong timing)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tell us how you checked for primary current from the mag. Your test leads would go between the black and blue wire. The magneto will typically produce something in the 80 to 90 VAC range if the crankshaft is spinning fast enough. The wires need to be disconnected from the CDI for this test.

Do you have a decent meter that will read AC and DC as well as ohms?

Tom

MikeinNM

Nov 17, 2013
New Mexico
Thanks for the responses, I checked the magneto, no voltage at all. Ordered new ignition parts, will start from scratch. Is there a way to check timing? On one of the threads they mentioned a keyway, I think at 1 oclock when at tdc. I could not see a keyway anywhere on mine. BTW it is a chinese 80cc two stroke.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you have ever removed the magneto rotor (magnet) from the crankshaft there is nothing to check as far as timing. There have been some reported cases of the woodruff key falling out or not being there which would allow the rotor to rotate on the shaft altering ignition timing. I doubt this is your problem because when that is the case the engine usually will not run.
Are you using the white wire? Is it isolated from touching any metal parts?

Tom

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Open mag side, pull 4 screws out, remove magneto. Check to make sure that black wire is properly seated against magneto...

I had a kit once that ate 3 cdis
Was bad ground wire...

Since then, I've always resoldered new heavier guage wire in place of supplied wires. New ground strap, tucked behind mag upon install, instead of on front. Automotive goop at wire exit hole

Then, as mentioned previously, solder and shrink connections.

If still not working correctly, buy a moped...lol