Rear tire won't spin - I can't figure it out!!

GoldenMotor.com

Kairos

Nov 8, 2013
Idaho
I've read several posts on people having issues with their tires spinning, but the solutions haven't been able to help me. PLEASE HELP!

I put my bike together 2-3 months ago (there's about 200 miles on it). Recently, I was starting my bike, and I think something terrible went wrong because rather than the motor starting, like usual, it completely froze up and the tires stopped turning, leaving a long black skid line on the pavement.

Things I've tried to do to fix it:
-I checked to see if the chain was stuck anywhere (both in my tire spokes, and in the motor spokes) and couldn't see anything.

-I took out the spark plug to see if something was hitting against it but the rear tire still wouldn't budge.

-I opened the area where the clutch is to see if it was dissengaging when I pull the clutch, and it was.

-I took off metal plate that connects with the clutch to make sure there weren't any issues with it. Even when that metal plate was off, the tire wouldn't move, which is why I don't think there is anything wrong with the clutch.

I hope all of my descriptions were clear. My only experiencce with motors is the little knowledge I've gained putting my bike together. I would appreciate it if you explained clearly what parts you are talking about.

PLEASE HELP!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds like you need to pull the jug and see whats frozen your motor.
Do you mean it will not turn the back wheel even though you have the clutch pressure plate removed? (the silver plate in the middle that usually moves in and out to work the clutch)
If so, you must have something jammed in the outer sprocket cover or possibly inside the engine case to prevent even the countershaft from turning.
I'm guessing you have a broken top rod bearing and a seized motor as this has been happening quite frequently lately. (bad batch of factory connecting rods I'm told)

Kairos

Nov 8, 2013
Idaho
Sounds like you need to pull the jug and see whats frozen your motor.
Do you mean it will not turn the back wheel even though you have the clutch pressure plate removed? (the silver plate in the middle that usually moves in and out to work the clutch)
If so, you must have something jammed in the outer sprocket cover or possibly inside the engine case to prevent even the countershaft from turning.
I'm guessing you have a broken top rod bearing and a seized motor as this has been happening quite frequently lately. (bad batch of factory connecting rods I'm told)
Yes, that is what I mean.

So, if it is a broken top rod bearing/seized motor, what do I need to buy/do to fix it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're saying the wheel doesn't turn even with the clutch disengaged? If I understand you correctly you need to start looking at either the rear wheel's hub or take a better look at the chain. My guess is that the chain was loose and it is now jammed up around the engine drive sprocket. Have you tried rolling the bike backwards?

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Pull the three screw sprocket cover and look under it around the drive sprocket. I agree with 2door, it has to be something external if you still cannot turn the wheel even with the clutch plate removed.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Agree with 2door. If it doesn't move even with the flower nut and clutch cover removed, you're looking at a drive train issue, not top or bottom end. It could also be anywhere along the clutch shaft, but start with removing the chain, or trying to. Pics would help here.
Try this, with the clutch cover removed (the metal plate) and the spark plug out, can you turn the large clutch gear by hand?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first, take off the chain & see if tire moves - if not , something is wrong with wheel

if wheel OK, while chain is off, take out spark plug then turn motor by putting a socket on the nut holding the drive sprocket on - if motor doesn't turn, take off flower nut & pressure plate of clutch and see if drive shaft turns now - if not, shaft is stuck

if shaft turns then look at clutch gears for debris caught in teeth - otherwise the crank or piston is seized

Kairos

Nov 8, 2013
Idaho
Thanks for your responses everyone! My chain skipped a groove on the sproket, and got caught behind the engine sproket, which is why I couldn't see it. Taking off the cover, and playing with it for a little bit did the trick!