What is the best seat?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I tripped over a site that had some really expensive 3-spring seats, and can't seem to find it again. The price seemed crazy to me, up to $300. However, there are some more affordable ones at Custom Motored Bicycles.
The "Leather 3-spring saddle" at the top looks good, there's another 3-spring farther down, the "Crash Rail Seat".

They look like they'd smooth out the ride very nicely.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
I had the same problem, all of my saddles were either too small or had too little cushion on rough roads. My solution was to cut the front from an old banana seat pan, cut the back from a cruiser seat pan and pop-rivet them together. I then cut a piece of foam rubber shaped like the new seat and covered with leather from one of my wife's discarded knee high boots. The front of the seat was mounted to the seat post on a hinge, the rear was mounted to a springer frame made from scrap and hardware store springs. The ride is just like an old Harley or Indian springer seat, and the cost was less than 25 bucks (I had the old seats lying around). I will admit that the project took a good bit of time, most of the time was spent trying to get the configuration right. The beauty is the seat is adjustable for a front high or front low setting, depending on how you like it. If you check out photos of vintage Harleys or Indians you will note the exaggerated size of the springer seats, I kind of like that look. Hope this helps.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
My Bontrager saddle is the most comfortable saddle that I have ever sat on. Qutte durable with the thick leather and the grab rail is handy and nice too.
DSC_1335.JPG

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh you did a nice job, Scootmeister!
rc

GasX,
the Brooks site showed a B190
Their newest heavy duty saddle...
...wish I could afford to try one!

Last edited:

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, Rusty. I enjoy this bike a lot and intend to ride it in our local Christmas parade. I need to adjust or replace the springs in the centifugal clutch because chainsaws engage at high RPMS to reach their power band before they start cutting. The result, my clutch engagement is not as smooth as I'd like starting out or shifting gears (my Huasheng engages just above idle which is perfect for MBs) Hey, Birdmann, was your spiderman seat originally designed for bicycles or motorcycles? Are there mounting holes for the springs on the bottom of the seat pan? It's a perfect size for a bobber, I like it a lot. I hope you got a good deal on it. Call me nuts, but I'm currently fabricating a springer hard seat pan from a heavy aluminum frying pan I lifted from my father-in-laws restaurant. I'm mounting it on my current build, a chrome Giant Stiletto with 66cc Chinagirl. I hope to have it finished today and test ride for the first time this weekend after some tweaking. I'll let you know if it gives me hemorrhoids or roasted chestnuts!!!!

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Hey Sccotmeister,

The spider seat was sold as a motorcycle bobber seat but it came with the springs and mounting hardware which I used to mount on a bicycle stem. Yes, the bottom of the seat has mounting holes.

The seat cost $50 plus shipping which wasn't bad for a leather seat. You cracked me up with the comment on roasted chestnuts and hemroids. I can ride in this seat all day long.

I was checking out your ride earlier this morning. Looks like you have everything, including the kitchen sink...LOL

Here is a side vie of the seat...Dan

Attachments