cruiser frame, but replace front fork with shocks?

GoldenMotor.com

masterfowler

Aug 31, 2011
charleston
I bought an Isla Vista cruiser and almost have it ready for the motor, just waiting on a few parts. I live in downtown Charleston Sc, where the roads can turn from smooth to **** instantly. The front fork on my cruiser seems to be the thinnest a fork's thread can be, im guessing 1". Has anyone tried putting shocks on their cruiser. The fork on it now keeps the front really low and I wouldn't mind it having a slight lift, but more importantly, give me some longevity with this bike.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Here ya go, first pic is with 700c size commuter forks . Makes a vast difference in ride and handeling.
[/ATTACH]

Oops the pics are backwards. The 700c forks raised the front about 2 "

Attachments

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
RST makes a bunch of forks with 1" threaded steerers. No one else does anymore, but you might find an old Marzocchi with the replaceable crown and get a 1" crown, or find a springer with v-brake.

I have a Schwinn Avenue with the 700c pogo stick fork (no damping, no oil, just grease and springs). It works nicely as a pedal bike, fixing to find out how it does on a fric-drive bike. It seems pretty solid. I have used this as a cyclocross/mountain bike for 1 year.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
There are a few options. For a more traditional look, there's the springer or a monark repop. Running both on current bikes. Haven't ridden the Monark yet. I was able to score the springer with brake bosses from VMB. Not sure he still has any. With the monark, you either need to run a disc setup or drum. I'm going worksman drum.

If you're not concerned with the vintage look, you should be able to find an old mtn bike/commuter fork with brake bosses on good ol' ebay.

Good luck with your build!