First multi-speed bike, questions

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
So I've got this old Roadmaster SX sitting outside getting rusty. I'm thinking about motorizing it.

Now I've already read that the carb barely clears the frame and that it will probably require modifications to the filter housing, that's not a problem.

What I want to know is, can I simply replace the back wheel with an aftermarket one and get rid of all of the gear nonsense completely? If possible I'd like to replace it with a coaster brake wheel like I have on my cruiser (I will keep the handbrakes, but I want extra insurance.)

So, is it possible to simply replace that back wheel and remove all of the gearing stuff?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Max, welcome. If I am following you correctly, yes, you can just replace the rear wheel.

I do have to say, gears are nice to have but there are many thoughts on that. I also like to be able to place the pedals in a position to help with take-offs. But again that is a preference thing.

You also have to replace the pedal side chain to a one speed size and then would have to size it correctly. I do not know one speeds and am not sure if you would have to then replace the chain-ring. But some one will know

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
.........All depends on the rear wheel you choose- if off a donor/junk bike, take the chain as well, if only for a reference.
I did the opposite on my last build- put a 7 speed rear wheel on a cruiser frame. All I had to do was buy some Speed(road bike) chain from Wal-Mart- and add the shifter...finito!
-Recomend you check the width of the stock rim your replacing, as Geared rims are often wider than the single speeds.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
You shouldn't have too many problems changing too a different rear wheel either. That frame has had many different rear wheels on it. I finally decided to leave the 24" i have on it now. Just need to gear up some rear brakes.