new build old huffy mountain bike

GoldenMotor.com

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
Copy of mountain bike.jpg
here it is a skyhalk 66 cc on a old huffy mountain bike with dual head lights.
I made this as a daily driver and a back road putter.I put the forks on it and I am waiting for the seat post with 1" of travel with a springer seat.I am also waiting for my pipe and dual brake lever.This is a very addictive hobby parts are cheep and its fun planning for the next mod.I am going to do something diferent with the tires not sure what as I plan on doing some back roading.
Tell me what you think about my first build any sugestions?brnot

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
Oh ya I put a boost bottle on it and the chargeing coil with the battery pack from wonderful creations,neat kit not a bad deal.I also got a batt speedo my old style cable one wont fit on the new forks and fenders .My back rack should be in monday and the carb upgrade..wee.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I am still waiting for my sprocket addapter as the one in the kit I cant get straight so I dont want to crash my chain roller into my spokes then crash and burn,sounds painfull:-||.I also have a set of directionals with the brake light that I will mount to the rear rack.The pipe I got was a pocket bike chamber that I cut off and turned around the header to make it fit ,the manifold bolted right up and has a spring hook built in to hold the pipe on to give it flex.I didnt like the pipe that came with the kit and was heaver than this one I put on.I have not fired this up yet and wont until I get the rest of the parts ,also we have had snow and the driveway is a mud pit.The wife was kind enough to let me build it in the living room but after it goes out it stays out.dance1

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
My next project is to make the seat post fit that I just got in.I mearured wrong the post I got was 24.5mm and my post is 15/16:-||.I will have to get out the pipe strecher.laffI was going to ream the pipe to 1" but it is thin enough then I was thinking of putting the post in the lathe at work to turn it down but that is not a good idea ether.I am going to look back on Ebay for the right one.Does anyone want to trade for the right one?

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
No I got a suspention post 40 mm travel to soften the ride the old post is fine.I plan on getting a springer seat as well to help also.I just didnt know there was so many different ones and didnt measure it.sno..

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
my sprocket addapter kit will be here today and hopfully the flame kit for the tank and motor.Should I take the tank in and weld around the bolts before I fill it I have seen some post about them leaking?.xx.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
got my sprocket addapter in and my sprocket wont line up with the bolt pattern on it so I will have to wait for a new sprocket.I took my suspention seat post to work and turned it down just enough on the lathe to make it fit ,wow thats going to be nice.I put my side pull brakes on the front forks and just waiting for the dual brake handle to hook them up.Its snowing out again ,cant wait to try this thing out but is summer ever going to get here?.shft.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
(c)Took my sprocket to work and made a jig on the lathe to line up the spocket and addapter then used a transfer punch to transfer holes then put it in the bridgeport and drilled the holes.It came out great and lined up nice so now I got my wheel back on.Then tonight my flame kit came in and put those on wow that makes it pop and adds a cool factor.All I am waiting for is my dual brake lever and the directional/brake light but it will run with out it .It going to be warm tomarrow I might just fire it up..wee.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I got the one light in a dynamo kit I got on e bay and the other one from the lighting coil kit I got from wonderfull creations on ebay.but I found single lights on ebay the other day.I used 2 1/2 emt conduit hanger clamps back to back as a mount,works great just had to ground them.Check out my photo album on here it has some pictures of the bike almost done.dnut

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I changed the way the pipe goes looks more like a dirt bike and also found my nh bike plate with my name on it thats got to be 25 years old,I cant beleve I found it.I was going to start her up yesterday but the front tire went flat ?New tube and tire but the tube was full of bubles so I replace it.Bye the time I got home replace the tube and got my MixMizer (found it at wallmart cheep)figured out it was dark out so I went in for the night.Today it is rainy and cold out not good ridding weather,I will stay in and clean up the living room/work shop before the wife kills me.I am thinking a flame seat will finnish it off and maybe some flame tires as well dance1.Mabey tomarrow I can fir it up ?.wee.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You should never use the words "Huffy" and "Mtn. Bike" in the same sentence. This is the very reason that the Huffy toss was invented. If you have never heard of the Huffy toss, it's a classic game played by "real" mtn. bikers in that who ever can toss the HEAVY Huffy the furthest wins a prize. It was quite a popular competition in the late 80's into the 90's.........true story!

dnut

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
Is this because they are just heavy or are they not a good mountain bike??dnutI choose this bike because it was a good looking heavy frame and was not worried about the weight.Anyway I fired it up last night and she would run good on idle but above 1/4 throttle she would die out but would idle fine and take gas when not under load.I figured out it was to lean so I found the smallest drill at work and drilled the jet out,not to bad maybe a little rich but for brake in ok.It tops out about 32-34 mph on a flat with me 220 lb,I have a44 tooth sprocket but have a 40 tooth on the way.It climbs hills great and I think it will get better after its brocken in and I can lean out the mixture a bit.Going shopping with the wife then going to go out again..shft.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I put 30 miles on it yesterday made it to work in 20 min (takes 10 in a car)not bad ,the mixture is to rich on the gas I am going to 25 /1 today and get a good plug I can check the gap on.I think its 4 strokeing at WOT and doesnt sound like a 2 stroke only every once in a wile at any rpm.I messed with the clip hight all the way from top to bottom,and read the plug and were I have it is good now.I was a ski doo tec back in 91 -97 and know 2 strokes and carbs so I will make it better.I think the 16/1 mixture has a lot to do with it,I am thinking of running the spectro smokeles and oderles synthedic that I run in my sleds and have a gal left over ($49) as I stopped a the cat dealer to show my buddy and thats what they run in there dirt bikes.brnot

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i run my 2-smoker 32-1 have even before it was broken in, its just what i always run it at. have never had a problem with this fuel-oil ratio

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I put 32/1 gas in it and changed the plug to a B6HS gapped to .028 then raised the float just a bit.Next I had drilled the main jet and gone to big so i soldered it closed and went back to the first drill,did a high speed run and read the plug.

It was still to rich and I dont have a smaller drill .040 in ,did some figureing at work if the main was a .70mm that is .0275 so I doubled the jet size almost.

I then found a punch to fit inside the jet and tapped the solder closed then next I used my torch tip cleaner to open up the hole to just over the original size,the solder was soft enough to change the size very easy.I did some more runs untill it was good and she was pulling 40 mph on the flats and 25 -30 mph up hills,good low end after some tinkering with the clip in the carb.

my bike is a 66 cc with the red cover gen b high po carb,I have a boost bottle and a pocket bike pipe 44 tooth sprocket.brnot

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
top speed 53 mph down a little hill and kept 45 mph on the flats after,the motor was screeming bloody murder at 53 and the vibration was a lot.50 on a bicycle is fast if it will do 40 -45 I am happy,I dont know if I will change to a 40 tooth .shft.