reverse vs. rim brakes

GoldenMotor.com

targetdg15

May 22, 2010
Ames, Iowa
Im looking to buy a cruiser for my new moped and it has reverse brakes on it. Is this a problem?ill it make riding with the motor a problem? Also, which do you prefer?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That is a loaded question! :D
Some folks have no problem with them, others have fried the guts inside them due to excessive heat buildup.
Seeing as am MB will go twice as fast as a bicycle was really designed to go, cooking the grease and guts is not surprising.
The general consensus is calipers are recommended. Disc brakes are awesome!
You can get by with a front caliper and a coaster rear brake (your "reverse" brake) if you keep your speed reasonable and plan your stops well in advance. Do not ride the rear brake long enough to overheat it, like going down a long hill.
Side pull calipers are marginal, v-calipers are good as well as center pull calipers.
Here's a link to an awesome site that shows a few designs and how to care and feed them:
Harris Cyclery Articles About Brakes
There are cheaply made disc brakes out there (read Wall Mart bikes) that can completely fail without notice, so be careful with those and get quality ones if you go that rout.

Last edited:

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey im a coaster braker.....but i will recomend bolting a caliper to the mount for the front fender....as a old downhiller i know that most of your braking needs to come from the front....if you gonna go with the disc brakes(which is also downhill tech) do not go with a mechanically operated brake go the full way and get a hydrolic brake and master....good luck with what ever you decide....im personally in favor of coaster with a caliper front(since some stuff can surprise you and your feet are not in the correct possition to hit the brake)....i guess im rambling.....remember a front caliper is easily added afterwords....