Ask a specific question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know that every now and then we have a questions that isn't urgent and doesn't require a long answer just a few simple words. So here you go my first question of that type.

Okay my engine is mounted almost perfectly vertical very little tilt. But some I have noticed are at about 45 degrees or more. So does that effect the carburator. If so how.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have mine mounted so the carburetor is as close to level as possible. not really worried on engine tilt. carburetor not level that would mean fuel in float bowl would have a high and low side. my mechanical knowledge is very little but that was the way i looked at it

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
A little tilt ,no biggie. The desire to make the engine perfectly level is a bit silly and overblown. Forward tilt? No concern to me, because when you get on a hill what happens?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
question two:

If i can find a way to make a weed eater carb fit the manifold, is there any other reason it won't work. I ask because I know there are hundreds of those things around in the small engine shops used. Yeah the gas line is different too but I think I can make that work as well.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Most of the (pumper carbs) walburo, zama, etc. I've seen have a return line so you get to play with extra fuel line it can I think be returned back into its self. But if you take the time the carb that came with the engine works good in my opinion and no extra cost. But I know boys being boys ya gotta make it run faster and jump higher so if ya want tear it up.
You guys want pictures of a carb taken apart and see the insides and what to look for and fool with?
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
What would happen if you put the motor sprocket on a twenty inch wheel. speed would go down but speed isn't that important to me. Would it bolt up okay I wonder with all those spokes being farther apart and angled differently at the point of the bolt up.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
What would happen if you put the motor sprocket on a twenty inch wheel. speed would go down but speed isn't that important to me. Would it bolt up okay I wonder with all those spokes being farther apart and angled differently at the point of the bolt up.
Man I don't know your on your own there I think the stuff will fit at least you should make it fit with the right size hammer and a torch and I always precuss out( that right I swear up a storm) things for good measure..
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I got the wheel. Soon as I get a tube to replace the leaky one in it, I will sure know. I know it will slow down which in my case is not a bad thing. Now that you fixed my carb problems norm it Runs too fast.

not to mention I think I just rode four mile with the gas tank turned off. Which would men it ran it on a couple of ounces of gas. Truly remarkable difference.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The sprocket will indeed fit after a few curses and some beating on the coaster brake lever. But there is only five inches of wheel left between the sprocket and the rim.

I'll let you know what it is like tomorrow after I pick up a tube. The one in the tire was shot. The tire isn't great but it will do for a while. By the way a 20" wheel and tire is nice to work with. Small enough to be easy enough to work with on the counter in my shop/lab. Since a scooter wheel is 12 inches it shouldn't be too bad on the road. At least I hope not.

I think I'm going to pick up a balloon tire on ebay just to give it a little more stability. I guess i can put a 2.125 tire to replace a 1.75. I think I read that you can go bigger but not smaller. If anyone know let me know.

By the way someone wanted to buy my bike on the road today. To bad he didn't ask before norman showed my how to fix that carb. He could have gotten a really good deal.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
News Question.

Thanks to the help of Norman my bike engine runs very good now, but it has a lot of noise, vibrations, and it even seems to lurch now and then. Actually more than now and then. Sometimes it isnt smooth running at all. It seems to go in small jerks... Any ideas. It isnt the enginr its the running gear I think.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Deacon- Fitting a weed wacker carb would be a great asset....it's fully adjustable for mixture for both low speed and high speed.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I knew it was more adjustable, just didn't know if it would be big enough to get the required amount of gasoline to the cylinder for proper operation. I think the wacker I had probably had a similar amount of displacement. I might still stop by and pick one up from the guy who sole me the two gas tanks from wackers that I didn't use.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just measure the opening on the engine side...find one that is close to or the same size. I wouldn't go any bigger.

Walbro type carbs can be had in a lot of sizes, even big ones.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can use a spacer like the one used on a chainsaw or wacker engine. I've seen some hung on the original manifold.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Cool if I can make something there is a high heat hose I guess would be suitable for the connection. I'll have to check with the guy who sold me the tanks and see what he has. I thing this is going to turn into those darn polaroid cameras all over again.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Question of the day.

Okay about the giant mtb I bought for parts.

It is a huge huge 26" mama I am going to convert it to a one speed by switching out the parts on it. I have the 24" wheel from the Sissy Schwinn with coaster brake. I am going to install it on the rear. Now I have a smaller crank set that will fit, but before I go to all that trouble, I have a question.

Now I know a mtb chain is narrower than a cruiser. I have a cruiser sprocket on the rear so the mtb chain will work but It is tight. so ...

Question: What will happen if I install a cruiser chain on the bike while leaving the front crank as a mtb crank. Will it slip, fall off, explode or just be noisey.