Home made jackshaft?

GoldenMotor.com

Adam F

Apr 24, 2010
Brunswick, Victoria
Hey all,

I really am interested in the jackshaft idea. As I have a spare Grubee HD rear axle I am just wondering of this could be turned into a jackshaft?

As this is supposedly hd with twin roller bearings it should stand up to the torque?

This is a picture of another home made jackshaft that sort of leads me to think this can be done - this seems to use a large sprocket on one end and a small one the other - this could lead to some space issues?

http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73610&d=1202970869

Any thoughts on the viability would be good.

Cheers
Adam

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
OMG lol it is fancy though ! just dont get your

OMG lol it is fancy though ! just dont get your pants leg near it .. i would spend more money on b.c powder than on this project .. this art peice should be called the ""octopus "" very advanced work !!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looking closely I don't think that star shaped thing rotates. It looks more like some kind of decorative washer. But...if it does turn, that is an accident waiting to happen. Otherwise there is some nice engineering on that rig. I'd like to know how it performs and how much he spent on parts.
Tom

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
Looking closely I don't think that star shaped thing rotates. It looks more like some kind of decorative washer. But...if it does turn, that is an accident waiting to happen. Otherwise there is some nice engineering on that rig. I'd like to know how it performs and how much he spent on parts.
Tom
The STARLIKE thing you are referring to is a bmx chain tensioner And NO it dosent turn....I thaught you guys were bike guys......and your a moderator........sorry if ive offended anyone but im starting to question the advice from some of the people here.....

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
The STARNUT thing you are referring to is a bmx chain tensioner And NO it dosent turn....I thaught you guys were bike guys......and your a moderator........
Now, now, don't be dis'in a moderator. You might find yourself on the outside lookin' in...

Also, I doubt most people on here know much about BMX bikes.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
I dont believe ive dissed on anyone I just thought someone would know a Chain tensioner when they see one... Im sorry for assuming that. MY BAD

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I don't think there's a moderator here that wouldn't admit there's still stuff to learn... in fact the second anyone claims to know everything about anything is when you should start wondering.

If you actually read Tom's post, he was questioning - not advising.

We all have our lil niches of expertise, the trick is to keep an open mind & recognize when something doesn't fall into that niche and question it, dare to admit ignorance - this is how we learn.

Those that "know it all" learn nothing.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I know everything about anything.

I thought that was obvious.....I'll try harder to make that clear in the future.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The STARLIKE thing you are referring to is a bmx chain tensioner And NO it dosent turn....I thaught you guys were bike guys......and your a moderator........sorry if ive offended anyone but im starting to question the advice from some of the people here.....
Dood, I have been tinkering with bicycles for 30 years and this is the first time I have seen one of those thingies.
BMX is not my forte, tinkering is.
Thank you very much for teaching us all about a new fangled doohicky that is used on modern racing bicycles. I mean that sincerely.
It looks like an excellent, easy way to tension a home made chain arrangement. :)