NC to FL 770 miles

GoldenMotor.com

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
To start off i got a $20 Schwinn traveler, 70 vintage, I rebuilt the bike. new tubes tires cables brake pads handlebars and chain. I cleaned and greased bearings. Grubee 49cc kit front and rear racks @ gallon gas can saddle bags handlebar bag. single burner camp stove, tent, sleeping bag, spear parts tools. I Pod for entertainment.. 200 miles per day 4 day trip. I will be leaving in 4 weeks end of October pics and updates to come dnut
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/77/l_93983aa29967419a8ece427f2bb8ef7a.jpg

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Good luck! Took me a month to rack up 200 miles.

Just did a little math here, you'll have to ride 8 hours at an average speed of 25 mph to do 200 miles per day. OUCH!

More realistically it will be closer to 12 hours per day counting rest/fuel/your butt's asleep stops and doing an average of 20 mph.

Wish I could attempt something like this.

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
yes thanks. 8 to 10 hours a day I've been training my butt i ride a road bike/no motor/ 30 miles every day weather permitting about 3 hours in the saddle

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
Live in the moment. Once you begin your trip, take the time to enjoy your surroundings rather than worrying about how you're going to get through the longest route you've planned or how you'll ever manage to make it through the hottest temperatures. Focus on the immediate ride and enjoy every minute of it.

Take pictures of your cross country trip at every opportunity. You'll be thrilled to have those pictures to trigger memories of such a momentous occasion and everyone back home will be happy to share your adventure through them as well.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
To start off i got a $20 Schwinn traveler, 70 vintage, I rebuilt the bike. new tubes tires cables brake pads handlebars and chain. I cleaned and greased bearings. Grubee 49cc kit front and rear racks @ gallon gas can saddle bags handlebar bag. single burner camp stove, tent, sleeping bag, spear parts tools. I Pod for entertainment.. 200 miles per day 4 day trip. I will be leaving in 4 weeks end of October pics and updates to come dnut

Please wear your St.Christopher medallion ......that's going to be quite the entrepid ride for you ....200 miles a day isn't really feasible....you will encounter numerous pitfalls upon your journey....be prepared and take care.....good luck !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
Good luck thats a heck of a ride. I thought this little ride this weekend was going to be long (67 miles) but that, WOW. There can be plenty of pitfalls. My bike trashed the coaster brake arm lossened the bearings so it got put in the truck. A friends bike had a jack shaft setup that kept messing up. One guy lost a pedal. One ran out of gas. Thats intereting too. They say 100 miles to gallon. We have 2.5 liter tanks and they had to be filled twice to make it 67 miles. Like I said hope you all the best and enjoy your ride, thats the most important thing. We can see all kinds of interesting things at the speed we travel.r.ly.r.ly.

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
Long-distance bicycle touring is by nature a Quixotic activity. In these days of light-speed communications, multimedia entertainment, fast, powerful, and prestigious automobiles, luxurious homes, exotic restaurants, and instant gratification, why would someone choose to putt at slow speeds up high hills carrying a heavy load to boil rice in a small pot in the dark, insect-filled woods alone at night? Are motorized bicycle tourers and gasbikepackers driven by a masochistic self-hatred that causes them to perform painful and anachronistic pilgrimages?
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/77/m_93983aa29967419a8ece427f2bb8ef7a.jpg

Last edited:

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
There are exciting times and difficult times as well. Visiting strange or famous places and accomplishing goals are always exciting to me. I meet and talk with interesting people along the way, sometimes other traveling cyclists. Beautiful views, strong tail winds from nearby storms, encountering wild animals (usually at my camping site), and traveling up and down hills also stir me up. On the other hand, I may run into a rainy or hot spell, have to repair my bike or tire, encounter a hostile motorist, or just find myself in a bad mood. The problems are infrequent and are easily dealt with; the pleasures remain in my mind for years.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/77/m_93983aa29967419a8ece427f2bb8ef7a.jpg

Last edited:

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
Good luck thats a heck of a ride. I thought this little ride this weekend was going to be long (67 miles) but that, WOW. There can be plenty of pitfalls. My bike trashed the coaster brake arm lossened the bearings so it got put in the truck. A friends bike had a jack shaft setup that kept messing up. One guy lost a pedal. One ran out of gas. Thats intereting too. They say 100 miles to gallon. We have 2.5 liter tanks and they had to be filled twice to make it 67 miles. Like I said hope you all the best and enjoy your ride, thats the most important thing. We can see all kinds of interesting things at the speed we travel.r.ly.r.ly.
I get 70 miles to the gal. 66cc kit. for the trip I'll use 49cc. I hope to do better. Thanks Mark

Last edited:

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
might want to check but I dont think you are gonna be allowed on I95. I think there is a min speed requirement.
no bicycles or pedestrian traffic on I95. route 17 will get me to Jacksonville FL. route 1 to Daytonabeach. mapquest puts you on the main roads. I was just trying to give an idea of how far the trip will be.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Mark, Have Nice Trip, It Will Be A Great Experience. Have Been Thinking Of A Road Trip As I Have Been Riding My 6 Speed Shifter Build Every Afternoon The Last Week. It Is So Nice Going Thru The Gears And Seems So Much Better For The Engine. Something To Think About. I Am Amazed How The Titan 4 Stroke Pulls In All Rpm Ranges. Ron PS, Not trying to rain on your parade! This is my first shifter build, after this and my cvt builds i would never want to take a trip with out one or the other. Best of Luck. Ron

Attachments

Last edited: