First motor bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

mhp622

May 12, 2009
Spokane, WA
I just ordered my first kit, it's on its way and I have very few tools and little knowledge of how this kit needs to be put together. Are there any tools or materials I need to get to get started? Hopefully this will all work out and will be easy to put together with the help of this forum. This forum is what convinced me to get a kit in the first place. Thanks!

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
I just ordered my first kit, it's on its way and I have very few tools and little knowledge of how this kit needs to be put together. Are there any tools or materials I need to get to get started? Hopefully this will all work out and will be easy to put together with the help of this forum. This forum is what convinced me to get a kit in the first place. Thanks!
Some bikes it's a pretty easy install on, others however can be a booger. What is the bike that you have for the motor? Let's start there.

mhp622

May 12, 2009
Spokane, WA
The prospective bike is a Specialized Crossroads Bike bought a number of years ago. I'm the second owner, I think it's about 10 plus years old. I could post a picture eventually, I just need to figure out how.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
What diameter is the two frame tubes that the motor will mount to (Front down tube and seat post tube. That will probably be the biggest challange on your first build, if they are larger than 1 1/8".
Not a big deal, but you will have to figure out a little different mount.

John

mhp622

May 12, 2009
Spokane, WA
The front down tube is 1 1/2" diameter and the other tube is 1 1/4" so I might have a problem with mounting the motor. That might be a problem with my few tools at hand. I'll find a way to make it happen. What other problems should I look out for?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I'm not sure about the bike but if you have a rear fender you will probably have to notch it so the chain will clear. You must also be careful to get the drive sprocket centered when you install it. Otherwise the chain will vary between too tight and too loose. I would recommend a power drill and a dremel for tools in addition to basic hand tools. Also if I may add a quote from my first install: "6 hour install MY FUZZY BUTT!!!!" Which is to say the first one hardly ever goes smoothly. Just stop study each problem as it comes up and ask questions as needed. There are plenty of folks here that are more than happy to help. Good luck!

.trk

P. S. There is a way to mount to oversize tubes using muffler clamps. Be sure to find that thread!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Since you do have the large 1 1/2" down tube, some of the vendors make a really nice mount that bolts to the front mount holes and has two holes for a U clamp. It works pretty well and you dont have to drill a hole in your frame.
Like Finfan says, it is very important that you get the rear sprocket runing as true as possible. This can be done very easy by ordering a machined rear sprocket adaptor and sprocket from Jim at Manic Mechanic (Creative Eng.) You will need no tools for that application as he sends the proper hex wrench's. I wouldn't build another bike without one.

John

Attachments

mhp622

May 12, 2009
Spokane, WA
I just got my kit and it seems to be going well, I just hit a roadblock. The chain seems to be too long. Is there an easy way to shorten it? Also, the chain stay seems to get in the way. I am using both clamping rubber things sandwiching the spokes. Am I able to use only one on the inside of the tire? Can that work?

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I just got my kit and it seems to be going well, I just hit a roadblock. The chain seems to be too long. Is there an easy way to shorten it? Also, the chain stay seems to get in the way. I am using both clamping rubber things sandwiching the spokes. Am I able to use only one on the inside of the tire? Can that work?
A chain breaker or you can use a punch "or nail" and hammer to pop the pin out. I would avoid just using one rubber piece, you are much more likely to tear out your spokes. I've heard some people use washers on the inside part of the chain stay on the axle to push the chain stay out too get some chain clearance.

Last edited: