Ask a specific question

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Sailor can you post a picture of what is eating your lunch? Is it the nut holding on the mag/rotor and in your case the I 'm guessing the starter cup I'm wondering if the nut is stripped?! in that case send it back if its new.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea about the end. Threaded would be far easier. With threaded you just run a bolt through the wheel and then into the shaft or weld a couple of bolts together if it is threaded outside. I have no idea what is what yet. I Guess I'll have to just get one and see what is what.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't know yet I don't have one. Was trying to decide which one to buy. I wish they were like a lawn mower with threads inside the shaft but I doubt it. Oh well I will see soon enough I guess. I'll just buy what is available and work with what ever it is.

Hey BGJ how many cc is your friction drive. I can get a reconditioned weed eater gas 20cc for fifty bucks and a 25 for 60...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I thnk the trimmer may be a better choice as blowers are designed to run wide open in a limited rpm range.

My bicycle motor is 23cc's I'd opt for something a little larger like 31-35cc's.

Just a thought.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought a 31cc ryobi but I'm having a case of buyer's remorse. I'll just have to wait and see what it will do. I could have bought the weed eater brand 25cc for 60 bucks but something just drew me to the ryobi returned model. It has some parts missing it seems, but somehow I can make it work. I know a guy who has a lawnmower repair shop, i think I can get some used parts from him if I need them. I'm gonna try to make it work as it is just to say I did.

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
ok this question may already be in this thread or on this forum somewhere but got up to page 11 in this thread and didn't see it and you all are talking over my head right now... little info - i am a female and have no clue about motors but do tend to want quality and something that is gonna last a long time (4runner is now 17 years old and even though it is just starting to get signs that it is on its way to becoming a 'fred flinstone mobile" motor still runs like new lol).. so how do you know what kind of bicycle engine to buy - are there comparison reports somewhere that break it all down for you and/or does it really matter?

also i have a combination on road - off road bike that i am thinking about maybe converting so do engines come already put together, and if not, then am assuming they do come with instructions so are they easy to figure out?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't personally think there is much difference in brand or seller. You pay your dollar you takes your chances.
The instructions suck eggs, but if you buy one just come here and everyone will be happy to help you put it on. Just plan on a week or so to get it on and running as it should.

It isn't too hard to do i did it and I'm all thumbs and no working brain so it won't be a huge problem for you. You might get better advice from the others..

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The 65-70-"80" cc engine kits (there are no real 80cc engines, they are all 67.5cc's) are all ABOUT the same...made in China, dubious quality control but lots of fun if you are into tinkering with stuff. The rack mounts I can't help much with other than to say look for one's with Japanese engines like Honda for starters. You do have to watch for things like "Honda designed"- which is a crock, or weird/no name brands on the engines.

Right now I am running a rack mount, which is 28 years old with NO PROBLEMS, other than it's pretty slow- 22 mph tops speed. It's called a TAS Spitz, they were also sold under the names Free Spirit (Sears) and Bike Bug.

The engines do all come "put together", except for mounting them on the bike, but the directions for the frame mount kits are good only for the bottom of the bird cage....that where we come in...the best directions are right here on this site.

Start here- http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I can fix almost anything on these bikes motorized engine kits. I did say almost.rotfl
You need help we can help or lie like a dog and make it sound like the truth.
Just kidding. I'd go for the 70cc engine kit and the cheapest you can find pm me if you want more info.
Norman

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
The 65-70-"80" cc engine kits (there are no real 80cc engines, they are all 67.5cc's) are all ABOUT the same...made in China, dubious quality control but lots of fun if you are into tinkering with stuff. The rack mounts I can't help much with other than to say look for one's with Japanese engines like Honda for starters. You do have to watch for things like "Honda designed"- which is a crock, or weird/no name brands on the engines.

Right now I am running a rack mount, which is 28 years old with NO PROBLEMS, other than it's pretty slow- 22 mph tops speed. It's called a TAS Spitz, they were also sold under the names Free Spirit (Sears) and Bike Bug.

The engines do all come "put together", except for mounting them on the bike, but the directions for the frame mount kits are good only for the bottom of the bird cage....that where we come in...the best directions are right here on this site.

Start here- http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html
thank you very much for this info and i remember the guy that used to tune my old racing bike always surprised me with a little gift which was a new part from japan so sounds like they are still ruling with parts... will look into the 'tas spitz', and from the sounds of things i just may need to get some help from a tinkering man so when i get an engine i will send whoever decides to help me here to speak with all of you - that way none of you will have to go through explaining the abc's to me at least 2-3-4x >> if not more lol

ps - ok am out here looking for a 'tas spitz, bike bug, free spirit' and that is a vintage motor not made anymore - yes?? if it isn't being made anymore then can you guys give some other names to check out that would maybe compare to this one because based on the little i have read folks seemed to really like that motor... thanks!

Last edited:

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
thank you bikeguy and looks like they do sell rebuilt engines but they also say some of the parts being used are not coming from original manufacturer and looks like there is only a 30 day warranty being offered, all of which i am not so sure about.. so if any know of some names of newer engines to check out that are similar to the quality that some things i have read claim this engine had, please let me know... many thanks.

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
that was weird and am having to type this again because post completely disappeared :confused: saying thanks again bikeguy and this engine is unreal >> "...Gets up to 250mpg with a 200lb rider...." so maybe that means i'll get double :D now all i have to do is talk a couple of friends that are acting more like parents into being ok with this idea - they have really been on me about not even considering this because of how dangerous the roads are around here... will have to test them out and see if they would be ok with my getting a motorcycle or if it's just the idea of a motorized bicycle...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well you do have to be careful for sure. You will find your "driving" habits have to be modified but the fun is worth it.

fireopal

Dec 25, 2007
lol even have to change the way you walk on a few of the roads around here for sure but you are right in that you do have to be cautious with any bike.. have gotten run off the road on a regular bike and good thing i wasn't really hurt because no one even stopped dbut then again they may not have even known that i had crashed....:(

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It's a different world when riding the highways with a motorized bicycle, fo' sho'!

Always act like you are invisible. Never assume the driver of the car/SUV/dumptruck will see you or care if they do.

They cannot judge your speed or distance either.

Gomma010

Dec 10, 2008
Sliema
Re: New motorized bicycle

hey, i would like to ask from what site could i buy the kit.. not the whole set ( meaning the bike included) .

I ve been searching the net for the past 2 weeks .. and dont know what to buy.

Can any of u give me a suggestion pls.

Also ... Do they ship to malta ?

Thanks all xD