No spark. Solved: bad magneto

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Not a lot of point to this thread. But it might be helpful to newbies.

I have a 50 cc, two stroke, china girl.

Last week, Wednesday I think, I was coming home from work in a good, heavy rain. In the blink of an eye it went from running fine to 'nothing'. I kept pedaling for a bit to see if any life came back to it. Naaahh......

I suspected that rain had gotten into the kill switch. Which was exposed to the weather, after all.

Friday I got home with a little daylight to work with. So I went straight to the bike. Made my first mistake there. Instead of cutting the black lead from the kill switch I cut the black lead from magneto to CDI. Still no spark. (Of course, under the circumstances) I didn't realize this error until I started working on the bike again this morning.

After splicing the cut black lead I tried a different spark plug. No spark. I then tried to check continuity in my spark plug wire. No reading. I grabbed a couple of other sp wires and checked them. Got nothing on one and intermittent readings on the other. Rather than believing that I had two or three bad wires I figured I must not have been making good contact with my multimeter probe.

So I opened the wires between magneto and CDI. I used expected ohm readings that I got from a post by 2Door in another "no spark troubleshooting" thread. No doubt others have posted this info in other threads as well. This just happened to be the one that I had found. All the same, thanks to 2Door for this and thanks to the others for their postings. This sort of stuff is very helpful.

I got some readings that were significantly different from what was expected. Either my multimeter is junk of there are individual differences from magneto to magneto, engine to engine, etc,.

Anyway, I found no continuity at all from the magneto blue wire to the magneto white wire. Open circuit.

I keep a spare, brand new, engine kit in my attic. So swapping the magneto was a snap. While I was doing it I found myself thinking that maybe I ought to just swap out the engine. Mine is beginning to feel a bit tired. But I decided to run it to the grave. I'll probably end up doing that swap in January or something like that. My wife doesn't like bicycles in the kitchen. But I can usually get away with it without suffering too much.

I've already ordered my new magneto. That'll go back into my stand-by engine.

I've already taken the bike out for a quick spin. It feels just like it always did. And I'll be going out again to get some more fuel for it after I get this posted.

But I don't expect any trouble. I think all is well.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Yup that's happened to me too:-|| I run electrics in frame so it's critically important to grommet and well weather proof everywhere.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I just had to fix a mag coil. I probably used the same post for the multimeter readings (these days the info is on a bit of paper taped to the cupboard over my bench). I was testing at the ends of the wires, and also at the solder joints where they're connected to the coil. Turned out the coil ground (connection from the coil to the plates, on mine at the blue wire end of the coil) was bad. Heated it up and removed the factory solder, used an engraver-type tip on the dremel to deglaze and rough up the plate and resoldered it. blue to black now tests in the right range. Resoldered the blue connection and removed the white wire while I was at it (and tested again, still good).

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Cool, CTripps.

It's the sort of thing that I might have done at one time. But things have changed. I haven't sworn off soldering small stuff completely, but my eyesight isn't very good for that task.

Not that my sight is all that bad. But I simply can't focus on small stuff close at hand. And I aggravate myself trying.

Good light helps. But usually not enough.

I've thought about carrying magnifiers, even. But I'd lose them or crush them in my pockets, etc.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue, glad you figured it out but I knew you would.

As for eyes, I have a pair of 250 reading glasses that are much too powerful for me to use to read but great for small stuff, like soldering tiny wires or carburetor jet work. I don't carry them around but they are always handy on my work bench for the hard-to-see stuff.

Glad you're on the road again.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Maybe it's time for me to look into some magnifiers.

I can get by in day-to-day stuff well enough. But having something right there on the workbench could be useful.

As a matter of fact, I do carry a strap-on headlight with me at all times. That extra light helps often.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Cool, CTripps.

It's the sort of thing that I might have done at one time. But things have changed. I haven't sworn off soldering small stuff completely, but my eyesight isn't very good for that task.

Not that my sight is all that bad. But I simply can't focus on small stuff close at hand. And I aggravate myself trying.

Good light helps. But usually not enough.

I've thought about carrying magnifiers, even. But I'd lose them or crush them in my pockets, etc.
Blue, glad you figured it out but I knew you would.

As for eyes, I have a pair of 250 reading glasses that are much too powerful for me to use to read but great for small stuff, like soldering tiny wires or carburetor jet work. I don't carry them around but they are always handy on my work bench for the hard-to-see stuff.

Glad you're on the road again.

Tom
Maybe it's time for me to look into some magnifiers.

I can get by in day-to-day stuff well enough. But having something right there on the workbench could be useful.

As a matter of fact, I do carry a strap-on headlight with me at all times. That extra light helps often.
I also have a pair of 1.5x 'reading' glasses on my bench.. they came in handy. It seems the last few years my close vision has gone down a bit, so they help. And sometimes I'll use my old magnifying glass, but mostly for reading the print on circuit boards. Never used to need the help, but I keep reminding myself that '40' is in the rear view, and I'm the only one in my family who doesn't wear glasses regularily. My distance vision is still sharp, I can still tell you what the headline is on the paper the person a block away is reading. The biggest problem with the maginifiers is that if I need them while using the dremel, I have to balance a pair of safety lenses in front of them. I guess I could dig out the old welding mask and flip up the dark glass but it seems like a bit of overkill.

Good light is a must. My bench is close to a window, and I have two lights on it, one on a gooseneck. Also, I hit the switch on my cap and the LEDs under the brim point at what I'm looking at (remembering to turn them off afterwards is the trick, I've half-blinded Harley a few times when she's asked me something and I look around from what I'm working on).

Anyway, what I was getting at with my earlier post was to resolder the connections. The poor quality materials used fail too easily, and it doesn't take much time.

Last edited: