New to this

GoldenMotor.com

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Hello all Im Scott Im new to the site and as of yet have never built a motorized bike but that is going to change in about 2 months. I ran my own shop ( working on cars ) for over 10 years so I for see no big problems with installing a 2 stroke on either my huffy cruzer or trek 800 but I still have many questions.

1 I live in Chicago and have been researchering the laws with very little luck the only thing Ive noticed is that everyone that has had trouble with the law around Chicago were all doing 30 mph or more. That said what sprocket would someone want to use to max out between 20 and 25 mph? and if this helps I weigh about 280lbs

2 I plan on putting lights on the bike that I motorize any ideas from the old timers on the best plan of action for that?

usflg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Scott,
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest wandering around the site a little. Lots of stuff here on lights and everything else. With your skills you're not going to have much trouble motorizing a bike. You'll be surprised how much fun these things are. Big smiles!
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome Scott. You've come to the right place for answers.

As far as sprocket size (diameter & tooth count) it will depend on what engine you plane to install. Typically speaking if you're looking at the Chinese 2 stroke you'll want to go a little larger sprocket than what usually comes with the kits. Think of sprocket size as gears in a transmission. The larger the sprocket, the lower the gear. 44T sprockets are somewhere in the middle of the road, 48t is a little lower gear and then you can go crazy with a 56T or larger but don't expect too much in the way of top end speed.

Guys who are looking for speed will go down to a 36T and in some casese 32 or even 28. They have to pedal like crazy to get moving but their top end is good and engine RPMs are low.

You can check out the "laws & Legislation" section for answers about legalities in your area.

Like Silverbear suggested, start reading and see what is available in the way of powerplants for your bike.
Above all, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Thanks for the info so far. for my first build I do plan on using a 2 stroke and have been researching on and off for over 1 year. Even though I have been reading up for all that time it seems like everyone claims to have the best engine and kit lol. I'm wanting a low gear for 2 reasons 1 I don't care for top end if I can cruise at at least 15 mph and get there quickly Ill be happy ( for now lol ) 2 my main purpose for this is I Broke my leg about 3 years ago very badly on a bike so now when I hit a long hill it can be very painful. That said I know Ill use the engine a lot more then on hills but I do still plan on biking a lot.

also I hate to say the more I research the more questions I get lol. one of the new ones from reading things on this site is I've noticed that some people have talked a bout a 6v lead that is just blocked off with some of the kits. Does that mean it could be used for a 6v lighting system?

and again Thanks for all and any help I get from you all

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Scott,
You're asking about the dreaded 'white wire'. There is page after page of discussion on that subject. Just type in 'white wire' in the search feature.

Many of us won't have anything to do with it. I snip mine off of every new engine and never look back.
The magneto is supposed to produce a 6 volt current to the white wire but that voltage varies with engine rpm. I've seen as low as 4 volt and as high as 10. The problem is that it is very low wattage. Using any incandescant lamp over about 2.5 to 3 watt will result in the magneto being unable to produce sufficient voltage to the ignition circuit.

There has been some experimentation with LEDs which have a lower wattage requirement but even then the amount of light available is not enough for real world night riding. I prefer to carry a small SLA (sealed lead acid) 12 volt battery to power my lighting and recharge after an evening ride.

Again, try the search feature and sit back because you're going to find plenty to read about the "white wire" :)

Tom

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome to the forum ! I used the white wire once. LOL Had to start the bike...get goin down the road at a pretty good clip (this is in the dark )....then turn the light on and the motor would run the light pretty well and pretty bright. But then...ut ohhh , you eventually have to stop...and as soon as I let off the gas she'd stall. Not quite enough juice to run the light and make spark too. LOL what a pain . I use battery powered lights now. Have fun with your build !