Petcock/Gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It appears to be plastic (drilling & tapping won't work) and has a barbed fitting/nipple on the bottom. If so just install an in-line petcock and locate it between the engine and tank. Most any petcock will be threaded, either male or female or one of each. You can buy barbed fittings that will thread into the valve (petcock). You didn't say what engine/carb you have but 1/4" or 3/16" I.D fuel tubing and matching barbed fittings will suffice for most bike engines.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Exactly. If I can thread one of these on the stock petcock to turn it into a in line petcock.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...e-adapter/_/N-26cq?itemIdentifier=904629_0_0_
The kit supplied petcock has a male 10mm machine thread and a barb fitting. Using a machine thread (non tapered) will require the use of a gasket and a matching female fitting. Now you're getting too many parts involved. You probably won't have room for everything.

Discard the kit petcock. It's not going to work well with other components. My guess, from the photo of your plastic tank is that the barbed nipple on the bottom will require a 3/8" or a 5/16" fuel line. Auto parts stores will have reducing fittings to help you mate the tank to a 1/4" fuel line. Take the fuel tank with you, explain to the counter man what you're trying to do and if he's knowledgable, he'll provide the correct parts. Tell him you need to adapt a 1/4" I.D (inside diameter) fuel line to your tank.

Tom

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i have a gas filter that has stepped barbs,1/4 and 5/16" .i have used them often when i need to downsize or upsize a hose.
small engine shops will carry a petcock with barbs on both ends.

tank will look good when you get it mounted up.

obadboystanley

Sep 4, 2012
NYC
I went to autozone and just my luck the guy who was there wasnt of much help.
i took the gas tank and explained everything and it seem he didnt have a clue of what I was talking about.
so i resorted to google and found this.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...r-adapter/_/N-26cq?itemIdentifier=839133_0_0_
I measured the barbed nipple fitting on the gas tank and its 5/16 like "2door" had said.
So is this piece the missing link to get the bike running? since everything else on it is practically done.
Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All too many auto parts counter men today have no knowledge unless you can give them the make model and year of a car so they can look it up on their computer. Try another auto parts store, preferably an older one and look for a man with a few wrinkles to help you. If they have a fitting assortment, brass or gasoline resistant plastic, you should be able to find what you need. 5/16" to 1/4" reducing barb fittings shouldn't be that hard to find. I just browsed on Google and there were numerous pages to choose from.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So the part to the link I posted wouldn't work?
That part is made to adapt steel fuel lines to flexible line. No, it is not what you need. I'll post a link to the reducer you need to find. I'll edit this post and add it.

Tom

EDIT: Check here for a photo of what you need. http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=417
5th item down, Cat.# 04C03366

This is a food grade stainless steel fitting but they make them in brass and gasoline compatible plastic as well.

Last edited: