BGF has hongdu solex clones

GoldenMotor.com

joek

Sep 1, 2009
detroit
It should have a centrifugal clutch also, if its like the later solex engine. 3800,4800 etc.. fwiw joe

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
You could use the lever to pull the roller off of the tire and ride it like a bicycle (very boring and slow). For more fun, push the lever forward and lock it in place, then push the decompression lever and start pedaling. After a few pedals, let go of the decompression lever and it should start right up. Give it gas with the hand throttle!

I can't remember if it would idle while stopped. If it did, that means there was a centrifugal clutch of some kind. I think it would, but I am not sure. If there was a centrifugal clutch, how would it pedal start?

I don't think we hardly ever used the lever to pull the roller off of the front wheel.

The Solex was a very reliable moped that could be used for commuting. It took a lot of rough handling at our house and kept on running.

We used to run it in wet weather and through mud and it slowed it down, but if you grab the lever and push it forward it got better traction.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
For guys who owned this unit how did it steer? It would seem going around a corner at 15mph would be very challenging, avoiding a sudden pot hole or other obstacle might be too.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I can't speak for the Solex, but my Bike Bug was only noticeable at walking speeds, which it would run at all day.

It steered a little heavy at very low speeds, but nothing bad. I got it from an 80++ year old guy who rode it in the woods on his walking path.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
cool deal. thats almost worth the purchase. let us know for sure on it!
if its worth the reliability factor i might be tempted to pick one up over the winter. nvm.. scratch that. i would probley rather build a front wheel friction assist considering i have a fully tooled machine shop at work for working with steel lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is so dang cool! At the end of my st, there is a crossing guard who is a WWII vet and 30+ yr retiree city bus driver. (His bus stories are as scary as his war stories, lol) He keeps asking me to make him a MB using a very old step threw frame. Gonna be easy with that rig. Thanks JoeK!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That is so dang cool! At the end of my st, there is a crossing guard who is a WWII vet and 30+ yr retiree city bus driver. (His bus stories are as scary as his war stories, lol) He keeps asking me to make him a MB using a very old step threw frame. Gonna be easy with that rig. Thanks JoeK!
I think that's pretty cool, your doing up a step through for the old war veteran. I hope when you do it up that there will be a build thread to follow. And you know the final pictures have to be of the bike and the vet... too good a story to not share it. In fact, it is just the sort of story that helps the whole image of motorbicycllng. A local paper would eat that up...
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool thought SB. A really great part is he is one of those guys who has been threw a whole lot of bad and still has a smile on his face 24/7. Loves his wife, adores his kids, grand kids and has great hope for us all. Just a great person to know (and learn from)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have had a Solex for over 45 years, I used to carry it on my 18 wheeler and then ride it home and back some of the time. I would go about 30 mi. each way and you would be surprised how quick you would get to where you wanted to be. The bike is indestructible. You can see some of the pic's that have been put up, of what you can do to them and have the engine still survive. I think it was the only bike that would have competed for the title of largest number of motor anything made. The award goes to Honda and the infamous Honda Cub. I think at last count Honda was a something like 35 million. I think the Solex got to 15. I would be interested to see how well the engine that BGF is selling, It looks like the Solex but you never know. Have fun, Dave

PS: I need to get mine out and run the thing, I think it has been 15 years!