any idea for brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
i have an early model of a flying pigeon and the brakes it came with are scrap. i was thinking of instaling disk brakes but i wouldnt even know where to start (it has an interesting hub; and its a 28" x 2.125 rim)
any ideas?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Wow, that's a tough one. Looks like it already has rod-operated brakes, but those kind of rims don't lend themselves well to stopping quickly.

You'd need to replace your front fork to run disc, and ideally both hubs. You'd need to weld a bracket for rear disc.

Can you pull a brake pad and post a close-up? It's always possible you can find a suitable pad to replace what you have.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Wow, that's a tough one. Looks like it already has rod-operated brakes, but those kind of rims don't lend themselves well to stopping quickly.

You'd need to replace your front fork to run disc, and ideally both hubs. You'd need to weld a bracket for rear disc.

Can you pull a brake pad and post a close-up? It's always possible you can find a suitable pad to replace what you have.
the whole brake system is trash, io tossed it. i painted the rims (the walls rnt high enough for any brakes other than disc) id like to keep the oiginal fork and maybe mount the adaptors on there somehow

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Well, first thing I'd do is find a pair of disc hubs I like. Then find a proper fork and the desired brake system. Whomever sells the front disc mounts (if forks don't have em) can prolly point someone to rear disc mounts.

That is, unless you can make them yourself...

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
If you are going to change the hubs you might consider using drum brakes. I've heard the Sturmey Archer 90mm front is almost as good as discs. That, along with a 70mm in the rear, you should stop fine. Plus it will look more vintage and you wouldn't have to weld caliper mounts.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
i thought about that, but im not sure its in my budget. i need to find the lowest cost braking system

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh, that's a really nice looking bicycle!
Probably collectible.
I would suggest leaving it as is and perhaps picking up something else with brakes you like.
rc

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
avid bb5 cable operated disks are $50 or more per wheel plus the cost of a hub
this is the cheapest diskbrake that is sold a good hub is $50 each

in the days of BTR racing there was no such thing as a disk brake
the REAL bikes that were built did not have any brakes
they had a decompression lever throttle and a kill switch
direct drive aka no clutch you held the decompresssion lever and somebody pushed you to start it

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Avid BB5 $36.99
Shimano Front Disc Hub Black $23.68

This ofc doesn't include modifying/replacing your front forks or relacing the wheel... but I would very much recommend checking out your local bike shops & talking to the techs, the Avid BB5 is a very commonplace caliper and they're often upgraded from by those that just purchased a new bike - which means there's often boxes filled with new "take offs" that can be had for less, sometimes a lot less.

Ask them about a disc compatible fork while yer at it, they're another commonly upgraded item ;)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'll look out in the pile tomorrow for some forks with a caliper provision...
rc

Next day.....

I searched the pile.
I have no forks with lugs for a disk brake.

...I also asked at the LBS... they said, Sure! abt $80 for rigid front forks a disk may be mounted to.

Oh well.
rc

...there may be some other way I am unfamiliar with...

Last edited: