New build locked up.

GoldenMotor.com

elijahkan8

Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
I purchased a 66cc 2-stroke engine kit for my bike. First, I couldn't get the chain on so I made sure everything was square. Now the engine sprocket wont turn at all.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Do you have the clutch adjusted properly? You probably won't be able to turn over the engine by turning the drive sprocket unless you use a wrench on the mounting nut.

Also make sure your chain isn't jammed up inside the sprocket cover.

elijahkan8

Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
My problem I think is that my kit didnt come with any instructions whatsoever, and I had to figure everything out... Wheres the mounting nut? I cant seem to get the cover off the rive sprocket without stripping the screw...

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It's behind the sprocket cover. How did you get your chain on without removing the cover?

Biggest mistake people make with the cover screws is use the right sized screwdriver. If they're the flat screws us a flat bladed screwdriver that fits completely in the slot. Using a smaller flat blade will strip the heads.

elijahkan8

Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
I got the right size, and my dads a motor guru that got the chain on, but he keeps calling it a chinese !@#$#@!@#$ -_- Ill try taking it off again.

elijahkan8

Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
Got it off, fixed the chain, but it locks up like that every time I try to ride it. I don't think I put the throttle together right :/, and could I eliminate the tensioner and just have it tight by removing links?

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
We , here at the other end of this thred , need more info to help you . Details such as, have you actually had this unit out and running at all or are you even able to get it started ?Is the chain locking up on the sprocket at the motor , under the cover , or the motor itself locking up . To call these Chinese units @#%%&&* is pefectly acceptable .
Many of us have felt the same affection for our units . Give us some pics of the installation of your engine and carb .

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Where are you in Ohio?
Don't give up, these kits seem frustrating at first to some, but many have been mounted on a bike and ridden for thousands of miles who formerly didn't know which end of a screwdriver to hang on to.

elijahkan8

Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
It has never runned. It now turns over, but the chain is so loose it falls off the back sprocket. Can I just remove the tensioner and take out links until its tight? Can I have a diagram of how the throttle goes together? I put 50:1 gas in it.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
It has never runned. It now turns over, but the chain is so loose it falls off the back sprocket. Can I just remove the tensioner and take out links until its tight? Can I have a diagram of how the throttle goes together? I put 50:1 gas in it.
Chains right out of the box should generally be shortened some to get a good fit . And you will see many builders do not run a tensioner , and many do . Adjusting a tensioner , to me , is an easy fix when your chain stretches after a few miles of use . Some just take another link out which is a little more of an aggressive way to take up the slack . The mix of oil to gas changes after about 3 tank fulls . A new motor uses a mix of 16 parts gas to 1 part oil . After you go through a gallon of that mix then go 20 or 25 parts gas to 1 part oil . That is using regular 2 stroke oil , not synthetic . You tube may have a demo tape on throttle installation or check the operators manual on the previous reply .

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
16:1 is TOO RICH. It is recommended because they assume that we have SAE 30 wt oil here and not good two stroke oil.

24:1 for a tankfull is almost too much oil, and 32:1 or 40:1 is just about right after your first tank. Many run 100:1 synthetic with good results.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
16:1 is TOO RICH. It is recommended because they assume that we have SAE 30 wt oil here and not good two stroke oil.

24:1 for a tankfull is almost too much oil, and 32:1 or 40:1 is just about right after your first tank. Many run 100:1 synthetic with good results.
I swear that should be on a banner at the top of the page! laff

elijahkan8

Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
Alright, now my problem is just the chain comes off the rear sprocket and jams in between the spokes and sprocket, It takes about five minutes to get it back out. I'm gonna have my dad remove enough links for the chain to be tight without the tensioner. Unless you guys can tell me how...

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You have to make sure the rear sprocket is on the wheel almost perfectly, no side to side or up and down wobble at all. 99.99% of all chain problems can be traced back to the sprocket not being mounted true. Also if you haven't bent the tensioner bracket to allow the tensioner to run in the same line as the chain that will cause the chain to come off as well. Your tensioner has to be bent to take into account the angle of the chainstay.

Can you get us any pictures of your setup? They really are worth a 1000 words.

elijahkan8

Jul 31, 2010
Ohio
I can tomorrow, but its a 26" huffy touring bike, old bike, all usa parts on it. The tensioner is in line, welded, in line

Here:

Last edited: