Nice Wheels

GoldenMotor.com

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I've got a Schwinn Riverside, it's just a regular beach cruiser with 7 gears and nothing real special. A typical Wally World bike. What I'm concerned about though are the wheels. Whenever I ride I find myself constantly worrying about the wheels and hoping they don't just give out. I'm gathering some money so hopefully I could buy a new set of nice quality wheels and tires/tubes to go with them.
I don't know where to look. Could anyone help me out and put me on the right path to find exactly what wheels would be good?

I would go to my local "House of Spandex" for info but unfortunately they've never been in the mood to help me out regarding my projects and would never spend a dime in their shop.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Fortunately my local bike shop is far more open minded lol, if yer on a budget you could buy just the rims and re-lace them yourself - taking them to the shop only to be trued (if ya need to).

Double wall rims aren't that costly: Rims

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I could be mistaken but I don't believe that Worksman offers a Multi-Speed Hub in any of their wheels. Also their rims do not work with rim brakes because of the rolled edge (no brake surface). You Might look at the wheels offered by Golden Eagle GEBE. They have a wheel set that is multi-speed rear 12g spokes and a pretty beefy aluminum double wall rim. Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More This link should get you to their accessories page then scrole down a little past half way to the HD wheels.

ocscully

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I could be mistaken but I don't believe that Worksman offers a Multi-Speed Hub in any of their wheels. Also their rims do not work with rim brakes because of the rolled edge (no brake surface). You Might look at the wheels offered by Golden Eagle GEBE. They have a wheel set that is multi-speed rear 12g spokes and a pretty beefy aluminum double wall rim. Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More This link should get you to their accessories page then scrole down a little past half way to the HD wheels.

ocscully
Those wheels look real nice and I like how they come in black. Since there a little outside my budget it will throw be back another few weeks or so but those are definitely the ones. And since they're pre assembled it's much more convenient for me since I have no clue on how to work on wheels myself.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
** If I want a really nice strong set of wheels I lace up my own. Even doing that they can get a bit pricey. You figure the stainless spokes are going to run you at least a buck a piece, so there is $72 before you buy your double wall rims and front and rear hubs. They can run $80 to $100 a piece for a decent finished wheel. I love the piece of mind, running on some strong wheels and really good tires.* Then the main thing you need to watch out for is all the soccer mom's in the mini vans talking on the cell phones.* John

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey

ocscully
Have you used these wheels? I think I'm going to go with the front drum brake wheel and a regular one. Would the drum brake wheel be the same strength?

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
No I have not used these wheels. I build my own wheels. I've been building bicycle wheels for 35+ yrs. I just finished up a new set of wheels for my latest motorized bike build this afternoon. But the specs/parts used on the GEBE wheels seem to be first rate. I've built alot of wheels over the years using Velocity rims, and know they are very strong rims. And they are a good rim to build with when you want to use 12g or larger spokes.. I'm not a big believer in using a 4-cross lacing pattern, but alot of builders think it is stronger. I personally don't use hub brakes but I know that alot of the builders of motorized bikes love them. As for the strength issue with a hub brake, its not an issue. As for the price, all I can say is I couldn't/wouldn't be able to build you a pair of wheels with those parts, for what they are selling them for.

ocscully