Got it running...in a Chaplin sort of way...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
After spending the past 9 months...with 5-6 of those doing nothing with it...got my HS 4-stroke on the street after 1oldmotorguy has spent the past month helping me get mine built for the road while he got his 2 stroke running all over the place.

Rode about 4 miles this afternoon after my teaching job. Actually got over to his place...while running out of gas as I pulled into the parking lot across from his place. After walking it about 1/2 a mile to the nearest gas station...put in $1.25 of gas.

Here's where it got Chaplinesque. The new chain tensioner I got from Bicycle Engines.com had moved again...no matter what we would do to get it to stay in place. Ended up pedaling it about 2 blocks...the left pedal fell off. The clutch cable was stretched...so it wouldn't engage no matter what we did. If that comedy wasn't enough...the left bolt on the seat came undone. Ended up calling my roommate & I came home to get my pickup to haul my MB home.

The looks we got & people asking about it were beyond even what I was willing to believe. Spent 20 minutes talking to a guy who got an electric trike for his wife...but it had no power at all. 2 others walked from their construction site to ask us about our bikes.

As for mine...may just suck it up & get a 66 cc 2-stroke & peel the sticker off the magneto case.;) With a 4.9 S6 Ford 150...the cost of the engine will pay for itself in less than a month. May just sell the 4-stroke & go with the 2-stroke to get me around the area to keep from driving the truck.

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
You will regret the 2 stroke more info about the 4 stroke (make of gear box supplier ) as for the clutch cable you might not evan have to use it. Most of the time if your idle is set low the clutch will only in-gauge under acceleration. Im not saying 2strokes are no good just saying if you plan to ride every day 4 stroke is the way to go.

Adam

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
Im not sure whats to regret about a 2 stroke,ive put over 8000 miles on mine,it is my only way to work.But the 4 strokes are nice too.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
We finally pulled the transmission the other day & found that aluminum foil key had sheared where the freewheel meets the shaft. Going to the chainsaw dealer (got tons of them here in Idaho)...spent $1.50 US on a 9" long key. Cutting the right length & filing it for about 1/2 an hour...got it back together. Went for a 1/2 block ride before the chain fell off from the chain tensioner doing a 90 degree turn.

Spent about an hour using blue loctite on the pedals & the mounting platform...as well as getting a long 1/4" bolt for the seat. Now...rather than 2 small bolts holding the seat to the sissy bar...got 1 long 1 with loctite on the nut end of the bolt.

Am also working on getting the V-brakes setup for riding. Am going to drill into the chain tensioner mount/frame & put in self-tapping screw to keep the tensioner from moving. Can't seem to get it tight enough to keep it in place...but this way...it will shear a steel screw if it wants to move.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Noisy, mixing fuel, vibration ,pedal starting,if you have the 4 stroke keep it don't go backwards

Adam
If I decide to do this...it will be for one to show off for the a business a buddy & I are thinking about running locally to build them. After all the work on the 4 stroke...don't want to build one for someone else...but a 2 stroke can be built & got running in an afternoon. With both of us doing a bike...we can build 2 an afternoon in my garage.