ideas for the rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i've been thinking of new ideas for how to drive the rear wheel. like how to use the drive sprocket without the rag joint or a hub adaptor. or how to do a shift kit without a jack shaft. looking at flip/flop dual drive hubs might be the answer. you could put the sprocket directly on the hub this way or put a locked casette on the left side this way, would need to build a derailer that worked backwards but it would eliminate the jack shaft. one draw back would be no coaster brake, any thoughts on this, lets hear what everyone thinks. link to flip/flops.
Flip-flop hub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
camlifter, im running a flip flop hub on my project. i started by taking a shaft coller that fit the hub, then a sprocket,and i put the sprocket behind the shaft coller and drilled through the coller and into the sprocket. then i tapped the holes and bolted them together. after that i drilled a small indentation in the hub and then put a set screw through the coller and into the hub, to keep it from spinning. i had a problem though. i drilled the sprocket and collar off the hub and it wasnt 100 percent true, therfore the chain would get tight and loose.new idea, im just gonna lathe the hole on sprocket perfect to fit the hub, then weld it on. i dont plan on changin the gear,and its a kustom sprocket. if i ever have to take it off, i could just dremel the welds. the hub cost $15 with sealed bearings, and the sprocket is $50.i'll post pics when its done, sometime this week.im also workin on kustom pivoting motor mounts. i'll post pics when done, very shortly, working on it now...

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
OK , heres a thought i had flying around in my head .

Is it possible for these 2 smokes to run backwards ?
obviously there would be a spark timing issue , but , is it possible ?

this would let you mount the engine the other way around , so the chain would be on the ( right side ) of the bike .

then go strait from the motor to a 2 sprocket shiftkit hub ,

you would probably need to flip the intake manifold upside down to get the carb sitting right .

JUST A RANDOM THOUGHT

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
camlifter, im running a flip flop hub on my project. i started by taking a shaft coller that fit the hub, then a sprocket,and i put the sprocket behind the shaft coller and drilled through the coller and into the sprocket. then i tapped the holes and bolted them together. after that i drilled a small indentation in the hub and then put a set screw through the coller and into the hub, to keep it from spinning. i had a problem though. i drilled the sprocket and collar off the hub and it wasnt 100 percent true, therfore the chain would get tight and loose.new idea, im just gonna lathe the hole on sprocket perfect to fit the hub, then weld it on. i dont plan on changin the gear,and its a kustom sprocket. if i ever have to take it off, i could just dremel the welds. the hub cost $15 with sealed bearings, and the sprocket is $50.i'll post pics when its done, sometime this week.im also workin on kustom pivoting motor mounts. i'll post pics when done, very shortly, working on it now...
yes, show pics please.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got all sorts of ideas like that, too. i was looking into flip flop hubs and left side drives, because i wanted to make a rear freewheel on the engine side.

as far as i can figure out, you'd need a pull start because it'd freewheel when you pedal it, but it would cause a lot less wear on the gears because the engine would freewheel while coasting, so your chain wouldn't be moving all the time when you're clutching. like coasting down steep hills your chain wouldn't be going crazy.

they used to make a locking freewheel system, but from what i've read, they were prone to failure and probably wouldn't hold up to a motor.

i've also thought of threading on a sprocket to a flip flop, but an aluminum sprocket would probably rip the threads right off under power,, so you'd have to go steel, and probably make the sprocket thicker at the bottom with more threads.

i remember my old Honda CT90 had sprockets on both sides of the hub, so you could flip the wheel around. lower gear for trails and higher gear for street. haven't found one of those bikes to look at to see if it could be adaptable, i know most mopeds and trail bike hubs are a lot wider than bicycles.

i'm sure someone will come up with a system. i think the guy who made the Cylcone replica had a set up with two sprockets and it spun the threads off...