this is weird

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
when i store my bike in my living room, i put plastic bag covers over my aircleaner and a cover over my gas cap. well i forgot those covers on and went out and started my bike,it started right up,but it wanted to quit and i gave it some throttle and it stayed running and i pushed the choke down. and i road a mile to the store,at the store i took off the pastic bag off the aircleaner cover(but i forgot to take off the plastic bag over the gastank cap and road a mile to get home and it ran fine all the way home. at home i discovered the plastic bag on the gas cap.i thought they needed to be vented.maybe it vented threw the primer button or something. and for the airfilter maybe it got some air threw small holes or around the plastic bag. i cant belived it even ran,maybe i have a small airleak,i'll look into it.

Last edited:

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
how full is the tank? it actully makes sense.. tanks need vent to maintain air in the tank, but they will run for a while w/o vent as there is still air in the tank.. you would have had problems eventully but 2 miles, was likely you were running on " reserved air "

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
At 100 mpg you only use 1/50 of a tank in 2 miles. 1/75 at 150 mpg. That might make the gas level drop about 1/8 inch (just a guess). The vacuum caused by that much of a gas level drop would probably not have any effect as the weight of the gas would over-power the vacuum.
Or I could be totally wrong. But it was fun thinking about it.

EDIT:: Woops. I was figuring for a 1 gallon tank. But still...

Last edited:

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
no,please leave your gas cap on,its already has a vent on it.
The gas-tank cap that came with my grubee Skyhawk is a pretty high-quality item in the scheme of things. The venting is decently well contrived - I'm not surprised that a loose plastic bag cover would fail to defeat the venting design. There's no fancy embossed logo but a decent enough chrome plate on the thing withal .....

The tank itself is marred by the horizontal split construction which leaves a sharp edge. This is worse than useless for those of us accustomed to gripping the gas tank with the knees.

No doubt I'm not the first to wrap and glue an old leather belt around and around the tank just above the sharp lip. Works real well.

I don't think there is a downside to this idea. But we must always be vigilant concerning the grave and explosive dangers of petroleum gas - petrol - gasoline. Never underestimate the dangers of losing concentration when handling gasoline. Think a lot before modifying gas tanks as a rule I say.

restapukin
X
his mark

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my tank is on the rear rack and i have a black rubber/plastic cap on mine with a hole in the center of the cap with a vent tub and it was that vent tube that i had covered for storage inside my apartment.
i also have a airbox(hose and pipe w filter) instead of the stock aircleaner housing and i had that covered too for storage inside my apartment.

i just have to remember to uncover those things before riding.

Last edited:

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
yeah, i see cabinfever... I'm thinking big old wool blanket now ... good stuff wool ... by way of 'problem' prevention only though...

yeah ok ..... I'm scared of gasoline ..... the more i learn the more scared i get.

restapukin
X
his mark

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Back in the 80's I remember people sniffing the stuff in the movie theatres. Perhaps it is best to get a larger construction grade bag set or old swimming pool and cut it up and make a little "shed" out of the PVC pool and PVC small pipe. The PVC pool can be cut and folded and molded to shape by using an iron. These also work great to make little rain tents that a sleeping bag can fit into anmd stay dry. Always test with garden hose before hitting the road. Ooops left topic.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A good bike cover can be made with a bag that sofas are shipped in....most are very heavy plastic, the best ones are lined with a soft foam.

I used to deliver furniture, and we would just pile them out back with all the other junk until the garbage man came. You should be able to get one or two free, just ask.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
A good bike cover can be made with a bag that sofas are shipped in....most are very heavy plastic, the best ones are lined with a soft foam.

I used to deliver furniture, and we would just pile them out back with all the other junk until the garbage man came. You should be able to get one or two free, just ask.

Yeah mattresses as well. American mattress or sealy/serta dealer always has them in the dumpster I bet. Same stuff?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The sofa covers are shaped a little better for covers and the plastic is heavier. Like I said, the better ones are lined with either foam (about 1/32") or a kind of 'felt' like material.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im talking about little plastic covers the size of a dollar bill with rubber bands just to cover the aircleaner and the gas cap.not the whole bike. its just to keep the gas fumes from coming out and it works. i dont want the apartment smelling like gas.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Ok well then that is pretty simple.. I think.. What I do when I lose a gas cap for my 1-5 gallon gas can/container... I use a grocery bag and fold it once so it is 2x thick.. I just screw the cap on over the bag or use a rubberband like you said. Works great for that.. We are just having fun here....

laff