Newbe With Questions

GoldenMotor.com

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
I have a Currie electric bike and ride it 3-4 times a week and have been very satisfied with it but I have the "urge" to build a gas powered bike. I have some questions about the bike and kit which I hope you "experienced old timers" can answer before I start spending money. I don't want to make the same mistakes that you might have made.

1) I will have to buy a new bicycle and it will be a crusier type. I live in East Tennessee where if there is not a steep hill then they build one. My electric bike is a 7 speed and I have to assist the electric motor with low gear when climbing some of the steep hills. Do I need to get a single speed bike or a multi speed due to the hills? If single speed is coaster brake OK?

2) I am not really interested in speeds over 20 mph. I just need torque. Will the 49 cc engine be enough or do I need to opt for a larger engine? Do I need a sprocket with more teeth to cut down top speed to give me the extra torque or is the standard sprocket OK?

3) I am confused about the clutch. You pull the lever to disengage and release to engage? If so what do you do about the other brake lever you can't operate?

Seems like Dax is the place to buy since they offer replacement parts. I just don't want to buy a kit that will make me walk up the steep hills. I do pedal for exercise in normal riding. My electric bike has enough torque for the hills as long as I pedal moderately.

Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated.

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I would personally reccomend the 66cc kit with a 46 or higher toothed sprocket. It depends how fast you want to go on flat ground. Your weight and the size of your bikes rear wheel are also factors.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I've bought 2 motors from Zoom. Both 80cc slanthead, both were good motors. The Dax motors are good too. If you buy the Zoom motor replace all the mounting studs before you even put it on the bike. I used the stud kit from SBP on both motors. Building a vee frame bike is alot easier. I used a old cruiser Schwinn frame for the second build. It was just to sell. It was a pain compared to a mt bike style frame. You can make either into a comfortable "old guy" ride. I use a duel pull brake lever also from SBP on the right side of my bike. It's easy to adjust to pull both brakes well. Has a pivot in it to equalize the brakes. The coaster brake on the cruiser was not a very good brake. The bigger motor is a safer bet for power. If you put a tuned pipe on you'll have power to spare. With a 50 tooth you will also but it will cost you alot of speed. I know but after you ride a gasbike for a while your going to go faster. It's to much fun not to.