How do I replace Chain??!

GoldenMotor.com

fistfulofsuss

Apr 6, 2009
Treasure Coast
Hello, I have acquired new 415 chain that I need to replace w/ the stock and I can't figure out how to take off the old chain, please help!! Have unscrewed the three screws where the clutch is and can't figure out how to get the chain off the smaller sprocket....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You should have a master link somewhere on the chain, look for an elongated clip on one link. Use a screw driver to push it off. (push on the open end).

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Since you already removed the clutch cover, remove the spark plug so there will be no compression.

On the sprocket you will see a big nut, use the tool (if they gave it to you) and use that to turn the motor over and feed the chain through.

BTW: Be careful not to lose the rod and ball bearing that go inside the sprocket. Also be sure to check once the chain is back on that you did not loosen the nut.

Attachments

Last edited:

fistfulofsuss

Apr 6, 2009
Treasure Coast
Can't figure out how to take it off of the smaller sprocket nor do i know how to install the new chain, thought that i could just pull off the chain but that's not the case..

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I do not have the tool, what else could i use and do i turn clockwise or counter, thanks..
I just used a ratchet & socket as in pic #2, but I do not remember the size.

I usually turn it which ever the shortest part of the chain is closest to the sprocket. But be sure if you loosen the nut be sure to re-tighten it before you put the cover back on.

I think it is left hand threads so counter clockwise would be the way to go...but don't quote me on that, I don't remember
Fairracing, all parts on these engines I've messed with are all right hand threads everything.
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Fairracing 31

On your response about replacing the chain you had two pictures (May 20) of the drive sprocket; one had the socket wrench on the big nut. You cautioned not to lose the rod and ball bearing that go inside the sprocket. Where does the ball bearing go? I don't have one that I know of. When I took the cover off to thread the chain through, the arm fell out of the cover but no ball bearing. where does it go? What size is it? Where can you buy? It is a Gasbike 66 kit.

Many thanks. I appreciate it as I need all the help I can get.

Don

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Thanks. Mine is missing. Do you know size? I may be near a Tractor Supply tomorrow if they are a source. Does the ball go inside the cutout in the arm/rod?

Thanks,

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Fairracing 31

On your response about replacing the chain you had two pictures (May 20) of the drive sprocket; one had the socket wrench on the big nut. You cautioned not to lose the rod and ball bearing that go inside the sprocket. Where does the ball bearing go? I don't have one that I know of. When I took the cover off to thread the chain through, the arm fell out of the cover but no ball bearing. where does it go? What size is it? Where can you buy? It is a Gasbike 66 kit.

Many thanks. I appreciate it as I need all the help I can get.

Don
The ball bearing goes before the push rod right in the center of the sprocket (pic 1 )

(Pic 2) Rod/Pin & Bearing

Not sure what size it is but I think ThatsDax has the set

Attachments