Computer virus

GoldenMotor.com

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
I just had my first computer virus and man was it a pain. It's called "BHO.OQ" and it is the pits. Cost me $65.00 to have it cleaned. This was done remotly, but that's another story.

My question is, I just installed Goggle Chrome and now the Forum looks different-did some one here change it or is it just me? Example- background is black where it used to be white, I don't have spell checker any more? So you computer savvy guys add something here? Thanks, Walter F.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have had about three the first one kicked my butt because I was new to computers. The next time I had one I ran a free scan i found through google. Once I had the name of it I entered that into google and found the directions to remove it. It worked so well that I did the same the next time I got one.

I also use an anti virus freeware program that seems to work pretty darn well. It's called AVG

Also I never open email from Tonya or Buffy looking for a sugar daddy. That seems to help as well.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Everything I have learned about computers I learned it here All Forums - dslreports.com
They have a very nice security forum here Security forum - dslreports.com broadband community and a computer cleanup forum here Security Cleanup forum - dslreports.com broadband community
Now I'm the guy my friends call when they need help with their computer.
There are so many different forums there that I can't tell about all of them only a few. Do some digging and you will find some really cool stuff. I still do after almost 9 years as a member there.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I have had about three the first one kicked my butt because I was new to computers. The next time I had one I ran a free scan i found through google. Once I had the name of it I entered that into google and found the directions to remove it. It worked so well that I did the same the next time I got one.

I also use an anti virus freeware program that seems to work pretty darn well. It's called AVG

Also I never open email from Tonya or Buffy looking for a sugar daddy. That seems to help as well.
Be careful with AVG and/or Avast. They are known to detect "false positives", which means to say it may call a virus something that isn't and take care of it on its own. I learned this too late about AVG and it cost me everything I had on here. Since upon experiencing this and learning about the problems these free anti virus programs, I no longer use one. What AVG did was target one of my main system files and once it "fixed" it, my pc went Poof! It was after I was back and running is when I researched it and found out about the false positives......................Hindsight is 20/20

Everything can be found on google and there are a lot of great tools to use to fix a problem.

Walter, when I did the reinstall and put Firefox back on, I had similar problems. Check out the available settings on the Chrome. But it seems to me that's likely where the problem is.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes it pops up stuff all the time that is just a website trying to plant a cookie, but heck I dump it anyway. If they give me a name, I look it up before I do anything serious. It seems to work pretty well though. I installed it on all my family's computers and it catches most everything.

The best thing to do is if your computer acts hinky is to run a virus scan on line. Get the name and look it up on google. You can get very detailed directions on how to delete it. Well I have so far anyway.

And virus gets through the paid virus services as well. Before they do a fix it has to be out there. Even the high priced brand can't read the hacker's mind. So somebody is going to get it before there is a vaccine for it.

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks Fellas, solved it on my on. Turns out the background can be changed under "Internet Options" and the spell checker I was looking for is on Google Toolbar 5 so I'm runnin' sweet right now - knock on wood. Deacon that AVG deal was part of my problem with Spyware Protect 2009 and I don't use them I pay for Trend-Micro to take care of it. Anyway thanks again, Walter F.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I find that spybot works better for me than AVG. I like the way you can see it go through the files and best of all, a window will pop up telling you that something is trying to change your registry. I've heard that some virus's will hide in your "system restore" file. on start up Spybot can run first before opening up any and all programs that start up on thier own as you turn the computer on sort of like "safe mode"

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
One of the best anitvirus programs I've encountered is Best Anti-Virus Software & Internet Security - Kaspersky Lab They have a free online scanner.

Like stated above, if you find the virus you can just google it and you'll likely find instructions on how to remove. Really the safest thing "maybe quickest depending on the virus" to do back up your info every so often and if you get one, just do a format and fresh install. I've had some really nasty ones, even after I've gotten rid of everything about them in the registry and else where I could find, they pop back up a few weeks later.

For spyware or adware, use Adaware or spybot, prefer adaware myself. But the best method of combating sypware/adware is to use the Firefox browser and install the add-ons "noscript" and "adblock plus". That way they are never installed to begin with, unless you allow them. Noscript takes some getting used too, as most sites will not fully load. If you trust the site you simply click the icon on the bottom of the page or right-click. Then allow the url, most times you want to disregard the other 2-5 things trying to load, but every so often you might need to allow something else for the page to load correctly. You might be surprised how many things try to load off websites that you really don't even need. I've seen as many as 9 extras on one site not even needed, all spyware which slows down your pc. With both together you'll be a lot safer from online viruses or trojans, often embedded in ads etc.

Last edited: