She wont start

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Does anyone have a copy of a troubleshooting guide for the 48cc 2 stroke. I ve got mine in but it wont start, not sure if it has no spark or if its a fuel problem, cheers.:-||
Hi Speedy,

This forum will be the best troubleshooting guide you'll find...The Chinese don't provide one.

I assume that the engine turns over?

Give a few more details and I'll try and help...it's usually something simple.

Jim

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
is the engine new?did it start before?do you have everything hooked up?
maybe its a wiring problem?did you prime the gas?is the choke closed?

is the gas petcock turned on?,i forgot to turn it on once.

ElUnoSpeedy

Apr 18, 2009
Little Grove, Australia
Hi Speedy,

This forum will be the best troubleshooting guide you'll find...The Chinese don't provide one.

I assume that the engine turns over?

Give a few more details and I'll try and help...it's usually something simple.

Jim
I have noticed that the fuel line still has air in it, maybe theres a fuel flow issue, the engine is brand new, i have a kill switch on the throttle with 2 wires, the green which im lead to blv is the ground is only attached to the frame by electrical tape, i have been told that this is ok. thats all the info i can think of.

ElUnoSpeedy

Apr 18, 2009
Little Grove, Australia
is the engine new?did it start before?do you have everything hooked up?
maybe its a wiring problem?did you prime the gas?is the choke closed?

is the gas petcock turned on?,i forgot to turn it on once.
The engine is new, hasnt been started before, everything is hooked up,i think its a wiring issue,i primed the fuel,the choke was open?, and the petcock is on

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Speedy, welcome. First I would try starting it with the kill switch not wired. Just disconnect the wires completely to rule that out.

(air in the fuel line is ok)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
on a 2 stroke peddle start, yes? One way is try another plug. Preferably one you know for a fact works. (be sure to get the right plug) Or, remove the plug. Reattach the plug wire and rest it on the head and roll the bike forward. You should see sparks. I am sure you thought of it but just to be sure, the wires are all well connected? (kill switch does not matter yet and best to leave it off until your up and running, imho)

Air, gas or spark are the usual suspects.

No worries, you will be up and running soon. Jim is right, 9 times out of 10, it is a minor thing. I know how frustrating it can be.

Last edited:

ElUnoSpeedy

Apr 18, 2009
Little Grove, Australia
on a 2 stroke peddle start, yes? One way is try another plug. Preferably one you know for a fact works. (be sure to get the right plug) Or, remove the plug. Reattach the plug wire and rest it on the head and roll the bike forward. You should see sparks. I am sure you thought of it but just to be sure, the wires are all well connected? (kill switch does not matter yet and best to leave it off until your up and running, imho)

Air, gas or spark are the usual suspects.

No worries, you will be up and running soon. Jim is right, 9 times out of 10, it is a minor thing. I know how frustrating it can be.
Ok, i have spark, woo hoo, next task plz.

pilly76

Apr 11, 2009
Sydney
Hi All !!, thanks for this great forum too!!. I have exactly the same issue I has here I believe. New project, never started. Am getting fuel and spark but not brrrm brrrm, very disspointed and thinking about throwing the thing in the sea. Tried both supplied spark plugs, bought a new champion L86C, tried reversing the instructed blue-to-black and black-to-blue, went to the mower shop on Sat for help though the mechanic only works weekdays, went a local bike shop who gave me some tips on the carbie and float, thought its getting plenty of fuel!! Ordered a new CDI box from the very unhelpful company who I bought the motor kit from, hoping it gets here tomorrow. Very very very disappointed!! :(

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Pilly, good to meet ya. No worries, you will have Brrrm soon. I have "flight tested" engines. feels good but only until you realize how much you paid for it, snork. Dang Speedy, I was hoping. Just to be sure the clutch is adjusted correctly, roll the bike with the clutch handle not locked. It should be very hard to move the bike. Or when you both try to start it and release the clutch handle, does it get much harder to peddle? Also the lil choke arm is all the way up? (small leaver on right side of carb. if your sitting on the bike, to the right side)

Last edited:

ElUnoSpeedy

Apr 18, 2009
Little Grove, Australia
Howdy Pilly, good to meet ya. No worries, you will have Brrrm soon. I have "flight tested" engines. feels good but only until you realize how much you paid for it, snork. Dang Speedy, I was hoping. Just to be sure the clutch is adjusted correctly, roll the bike with the clutch handle not locked. It should be very hard to move the bike. Or when you both try to start it and release the clutch handle, does it get much harder to peddle? Also the lil choke arm is all the way up? (small leaver on right side of carb. if your sitting on the bike, to the right side)
clutch is adjusted properly, choke arm is all the way up? hope is fading, but im still persisting, no go yet.maybe the fuel is getting thru?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the ground wire is very important.i have my hooked to the screw where my bottle holder was and i scraped away the paint where the screw goes in. or you could hook to bolt on engine mount maybe.but dont just tape to painted frame that wont work.
it wont start if not grounded correctly.see if that works it should.

ElUnoSpeedy

Apr 18, 2009
Little Grove, Australia
the ground wire is very important.i have my hooked to the screw where my bottle holder was and i scraped away the paint where the screw goes in. or you could hook to bolt on engine mount maybe.but dont just tape to painted frame that wont work.
it wont start if not grounded correctly.see if that works it should.
Ok, ground wire is secured to engine bolt and still no go? Next task plz or should i go to a small motor mechanic?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Speedy,

Spark and fuel usually = Putt, Putt.

Before going any further, try this:

Fuel petcock on, choke lever on, (Up position), pump the primer button 3 times. Pedal up to a good speed and dump the clutch so that the engine spins up good. Crack the throttle and release several times.

Does it sound like it wants to start?

If yes, open the choke, (Lever down), and pedal up to speed again. Crack the throttle 1/4 open.

Sometimes it's just a matter of hitting that sweetspot when they are cold. Some combination of choke and throttle position should get it started.

The number one thing I see people doing wrong, is not getting up enough speed to really turn the engine over fast. Pedal up to at least 5mph and release the clutch quick...don't slip it or you will loose mementum and the engine will turn over slowly, and only for a few turns. Done right, it should sound like the engine is spinning fast enough to be idling.

If this fails to get it started, check the following:

I know you mentioned seeing fuel in the line, but try these two things to help eliminate the problem.

First shut off the petcock, and remove the fuel line from the carb. Put the end of the fuel line in a can and turn on the petcock. Is fuel flowing freely? If not there is a clog in the interior of the tank, or the petcock is no good.

I fuel flows from the tank freely...try this:

Take the carb and intake off and look for obstructions. The intakes are die cast using core pins. If the pins do not meet you can end up with a bit of flashing, (at the elbow), that will prevent air/fuel flow.

While the carb is off, remove the bowl at the bottom, 4 screws. Is there fuel in the bowl? If not, you are well on your way to solving the problem. Check the inside of the carb for dirt. There is a pin that secures the float and needle. Slide this pin out and remove the float. Check the hole that the tapered pin rests in for dirt.

Jim

ElUnoSpeedy

Apr 18, 2009
Little Grove, Australia
Speedy,

Spark and fuel usually = Putt, Putt.

Before going any further, try this:

Fuel petcock on, choke lever on, (Up position), pump the primer button 3 times. Pedal up to a good speed and dump the clutch so that the engine spins up good. Crack the throttle and release several times.

Does it sound like it wants to start?

If yes, open the choke, (Lever down), and pedal up to speed again. Crack the throttle 1/4 open.

Sometimes it's just a matter of hitting that sweetspot when they are cold. Some combination of choke and throttle position should get it started.

The number one thing I see people doing wrong, is not getting up enough speed to really turn the engine over fast. Pedal up to at least 5mph and release the clutch quick...don't slip it or you will loose mementum and the engine will turn over slowly, and only for a few turns. Done right, it should sound like the engine is spinning fast enough to be idling.

If this fails to get it started, check the following:

I know you mentioned seeing fuel in the line, but try these two things to help eliminate the problem.

First shut off the petcock, and remove the fuel line from the carb. Put the end of the fuel line in a can and turn on the petcock. Is fuel flowing freely? If not there is a clog in the interior of the tank, or the petcock is no good.

I fuel flows from the tank freely...try this:

Take the carb and intake off and look for obstructions. The intakes are die cast using core pins. If the pins do not meet you can end up with a bit of flashing, (at the elbow), that will prevent air/fuel flow.

While the carb is off, remove the bowl at the bottom, 4 screws. Is there fuel in the bowl? If not, you are well on your way to solving the problem. Check the inside of the carb for dirt. There is a pin that secures the float and needle. Slide this pin out and remove the float. Check the hole that the tapered pin rests in for dirt.

Jim

I have found out that there was no fuel in the bowl, have let some flow thru and will hopefully have a goer soon.