new to gas bikes

GoldenMotor.com

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
hi, i just bought a new 80cc 2stroke engine and i was wondering what the best size bike would be for top speed, also what the best gear ratio would be for top speed.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
a 26" bike with road(smooth) tires
32T sprocket
gastank higher than carb
break her in slowly
2oz 2-stroke oil/1-liter gas
seal everything with gasket maker and teflon tape
dont over tighten bolts
30,35,or even 40mph

but for safety:i still wouldnt go much faster than you would if you were peddaling, i like to keep it around 15-20mph.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you have any hills, you will find the 32T a bit much, unless you are very light and small. A 40T or maybe even a 36T are better.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im using a 44T sprocket and its fast plus shoots up a hill like a rocket.
my top speed so far 31.5mph
average cruising speed 20mph

Last edited:

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
i believe i have a 44 tooth sprocket. i also am 6 foot 2 and 200 lbs. i would like the best of both worlds (speed and power to go up hills). i was also wondering if these engines are good for traveling long distances(100 miles or more at a time. i like to go on long bike rides as it is but now with a engine on it i will be tempted to try to travel on it)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i would think a distant of 5-10 miles would be alot to me,100 miles well hope you built it good and carry spare parts(cdi etc.)plus tools,and dont forget a comfortable seat.a second engine for backup would be good to carry on a rack box(there only $99).plus you need lights and helmet.dont forget theres diffrent laws in diffrent towns or states.there really made for a trip to the store for the poor man.but yes i heard people taking long trips on there well built and maintain bikes all over the country.
but dont expect to cruise at 30-40 all the way during your trip as 20-25 is the average cruising speed for most people.that would be a long 100 mile ride.

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
is there gonna be alot of maintenance on the engine(like weekly)? the idea i had when i was getting this was to ride it to work. my job is like 6 miles away and most of the way i would be peddaling due to half of the ride is through the police state of Amherst, NY. also how much harder is it to peddal with the engine on the bike

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
in maintenace i mean just checking by hand that everythings tight not falling off and no leaks.bicycle maintence like checking air in tires,checking brake pads,the basic stuff.i dont do no maintence i just put oil/gas in and check the bolts and nuts by hand and pliers.its not much harder to peddal with the engine on bike,after clutch break in.
you should carry a bag with basic tools and spare parts:cdi and magnito.there only about $10 a piece.but you can always peddal it home.

and for the cops,you can leave the engine running and pretend youre peddaling,they wont know.
it will be great for work,its only 6 miles,no problem.
keep the 44T.
mine does 20mph cruising and i had it up to 31.5mph

Last edited:

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
for the cop situation i have already been stopped a couple times before for operating a motor vehicle( electric scooters and pocket bikes) and was threatened with jail and confiscation but i threatend filing a harrasment (i get stopped all the time for no reason) and robbery charge and they let me go. just yesterday they stopped me because they saw the gas tank on my bike(with no engine). i was wondering if they they did stop me and the engine was on the bike but not running, could they say anything or take it(it probably has to do with the officer). like someone said in the NYS laws thread the cops in the suburbs of buffalo are the worst(kenmore and amherst)

Thank You for all ur help

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
no they cant take it if not running,well there not suposed too,they could beat you with a stick and shoot you or arrest you but there not suposed to.some cops try to do what they want.and i guess dont live in bufflo.heres a hint they wont stop a electric bike.
ghost peddal when riding,if you see a cop turn engine off and peddal.i leave mine on and ghost peddal fast and make it look like im peddal hard until there gone and i make sure they dont turn around to look more,there tricky like that.

riding one of these bikes with a engine is like a bank robbery,you are the look out and the getaway driver all in one and its also like a old time bootleg run to the store.