gastank height

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my gas tank is on the rear rack. the gas line goes down from tank up to the seatpost and down to the carb.it has a large air bubble in the line.will this effect my engine performance. and should i move my tank to the top bar of frame so its higher than the carb.
i had the bike upto 21mph,im not sure how much more it will do.
im still early on in the breakin period,about 1liter of gas/oil used.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
No that should be no problem, eventually the air should work it's self out. 21 mph is about right for a new motor. It will gain more speed and power as it breaks in.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I have the same sort of set up. Use zip ties to get the fuel line into a nice smooth downhill direction. Start by getting the line as high as you can at the tank and work towards the carb with the zip ties.It really helps a lot. The higher the tank, the better gravity will work.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my rear rack is lower than the carb,my line goes down from the tank and up to the carb leaving a large air bubble in it,so i am thinking of moving it to the top frame pole.
plus i am mounting my carb on the side,ive just bought the correct copper 90 degree pipe fittings and some clamps,jb-weld,gasket maker.i will be making a custom air cleaner.
plus i will put ties on the hoses.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If your tank is lower than the carb, that would be a good reason to move the tank to the top tube of the frame... Plus, it looks a lot cooler up there! ;) (^)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i moved my tank from rear lower rack to upper frame pole,so its higher than the carb.
that way i can use a shorter 2 inch clear gas line with plastic ties too.i also mounted my carb on right side of bike using 2 copper pipe fittings and jb-weld and clamp.it sticks out a few inches but it dont matter,i have a wide engine too.i will be doing a test run tommorow and will post speed results of any diffrence in speed or performance.but i changed it to the side so i could put a custom air cleaner on,not for speed or performance.i had my bike upto around 22-23mph before changes.

will post pictures soon,i need to hook my cam to my computer.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my bike is a little bit louder and sounds diffrent.I have it up to 27mph now.
plus it has a faster takeoff like a rocket.
i need to readjust my idle now that my carb is on the side.i gained 4mph having the tank on the top frame pole,no air bubble in line and line is shorter.
i put 5 pics in intro and the rest here.

Attachments

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
what size of copper fittings did you use? I would like to put my carb to the side , due to having no room in the frame for a nice air breather. but I also have been told that by placing a 90 degree in the carb intake your power would suffer!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
3/4" od goes inside carb / 7/8" od goes over intake pipe
i used 2 copper fittings: a reducer(straight) and a 90% elbow
and some j-b weld,but you might want to clamp it first and try it out then use jb-weld or something.
you need 1 : 3/4" x 1/2" reducer and 1 : 3/4" elbow

i now have room for my airfilter but i have to readjust my low idle
moving the carb and gas tank i went from 22mph - 27mph

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i had major problems mounting carb on side and now i ordered a new carb and intake to mount it back to stock location($38).i believe my performance was better in stock location because it was closer to the engine.
my speed is up to 31.5mph but takes 4-5 times to start and leaks from aircleaner or bowl,now does that sound like fun?