I was destined to buy a bike today

GoldenMotor.com

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I went to Goodwill today. I was looking for a door knob for my brother. I knew that I could get a whole houses worth if I would get them in polished brass for around $20 I saw them the other day, but that is not what I needed. I did find a close match wroing color right guts, the price tag was $2.99. Ther was the same trash bike I saw the other day. It was $14.99. Hiding in the back corner was an all sliver girls flightliner(similar bike pic) for $49.00, rims with no tires and an add on paperboy basket on the back.

I controlled myself, until I realized today was 1/2 price day. I walked back and took another look at both of the bikes. Thinking $7.49 and and $24.99, I should buy at least one of them. I then remembered the last time I bought a bike while riding my bike and the fun I had getting it home from that same Goodwill store.

I walked out of the store with my door know for $1.49. I went to Checker Auto to buy oil and thought about getting a hotter plug for my problem child "Blue Bike" Thinking maybe it would burn more of the oil so it did not build up on the cylinder wall. Could not remember if it was E.10 or E.12 that I wanted so I just got the oil and went home.

Got home got the spring out of the door knob and put it in the broken knob.

I realized that the "Powerball" was tonight and I did not have a ticket. There are a bazillion ways to get up to Circle K and back from my house. On the way home I took one of the speed bump roads. Its fairly late Saturday afternoon, most yard sales are over by now. I see someone putting things way from their garage sale. There are 3 bikes sitting off to thes side 2 little ones and one 26" bike. I sit on my bike, engine still running and ask how much? She tells me the little ones are $5 and the big one is $10. Okay, I turn of the engine and take a closer look. The big one has a couple flat tires, rusted chain and the normal tired look of a bike in AZ. I don't know jack about brands really, it says Gary Fisher on it, don't see anything else. I do know the front shock is not a cheapo, the brakes are center and not cheap looking, the seat is in good condition so are the handle bars. Plus it came with a coil chain lock but no key. Oh what the heck, worst case I can replace the shocks on the "Blue Bike" and I am only about 1/2 mile from home. I can walk the bikes home.

I roll on home, park the bike on the side of the house. Under the coil chain lock it says "Mamba." On the Fisher site I found current version This one is older, but I think I spent my $10 wisely.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Dude. That lady at the garage sale did not know what she was selling.
Without engine that's a common roadie bike worth $$$$
Good score!
Just last week I saw a lady charge 10 bucks for a 24 inch Diamondback BMX bike to a kid.
If I would have only been there 10 minutes sooner....

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah the MSRP on the current bike is just under a grand. That Flightliner at Goodwill would have been an okay deal if I was more of a retro/antique kind of guy.

I know I could put an engine on the "Mamba", but I might just post the the bike on craigslist as is for a fair price.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
LOL, How many guys and gals have gone off to school or military only to find mom
sold his baseball card collection or her "Tiny Tears Doll" (which would have been worth a bundle of dollars) for $5 bucks in a yard sale thinking she made a killing on it then.