Engine Starts but when throttles..nothing

GoldenMotor.com

dmr00000

Nov 7, 2008
Cleveland
I'm new to engines and my engine was doing great all day, but then towards the end, I shut it down, then when I tried starting it back up, it did, but when i throttled it, it sounded like a mini-rev and nothing happened...any idea's whats wrong?:-||

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"Sounded like a mini-rev"? Has the throttle cable or associated parts dis-connected?
It starts and idles fine, but the throttle will give no response?
Details please.

dmr00000

Nov 7, 2008
Cleveland
No matter what position the choke is in..nothing happens, and yes it starts..but if u stop pedaling, or the bike isn't moving, then engine just dies.

gofast

Mar 4, 2009
Winnipeg
Does the engine actually start..or is it just the sound of the engine turning over due to the momentum of the bike. Sounds like it could possibly be a coil/mag problem-not firing.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
i agree does not sound like the motor is starting at all i would def start with making sure it sparks if you have spark and fuel then i would look for air leaks

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
to check for ait leaks without a running motor is not easy firstly make sure the muffler and intake gaskets are tight to the motor. also make sure that the carb is pushed all the way onto the intake is is tight enough not to move at all around the pipe end. that is a start once you get the motor to idle you can use some carb cleaner and spray it around the inlets and check for RPM changes

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would remove the intake from the engine, put a thin coat of silicone or RTV sealer on both sides of the gasket and re-assemble it.

dmr00000

Nov 7, 2008
Cleveland
Ok..so i took off the exhaust..and the gasket just crumbles up..i used a temporary gasket..and it fired rite up..loud as **** tho..but im going to put a new gasket on and get back to you guys with any problems i will have..thanks soo much!

binks102393

Mar 10, 2009
Beachwood, Ohio
it was loud as **** because you forgot to put it on both bolts on the exhaust...remember you only put the nut on one side. You told me you always run it like that, which is why you have to replace your gasket

dmr00000

Nov 7, 2008
Cleveland
well ****, the thread to mount the exhaust broke off so if anyone in this forum has any ideas on how to mount the exhaust with 1 missing bolt thread thing, please tell me how.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
actually the whole intake manifold the pipe coming off the engine jug. remove the nuts from the bolts and seal both sides of it with a thin coat and reassemble be sure to give it time to cure before starting the motor

dmr00000

Nov 7, 2008
Cleveland
actually the whole intake manifold the pipe coming off the engine jug. remove the nuts from the bolts and seal both sides of it with a thin coat and reassemble be sure to give it time to cure before starting the motor
Lovely how you tell me this the day that the studs from the intake break off and get totally stuck in the engine block. haha..murphy's law