New bike-won't fire!

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I guess I got too cocky because I was so sure my bike would run that I installed everything without ever seeing if it would run. I have a spark and when I tickle the carb, I see gas move down the line. I also had a wet plug when first looked at.I've tried a little gas in the cylinder, still not even a cough.
It's so hard to peddle start a bike with the jackshaft that I worked up a sweat and it's so cold that my hair froze up.
Is it safe to say that if I have spark, I don't need to have a look at my wires?
What else could it be? Kill switch is not hooked up and gas came out of drain hole when I loosened the drain screw on carb. I guess I'll try another plug.
I'm not a very happy camper!
Took carb apart, seems OK. Had another run at her, still nothing, not even a burp.
I guess I'll take the air filter off and try to spray gas into carb as I try to start it.
Really need to know if I need to look at wires if there is a spark. (no kill wire hooked up yet)

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Oh Joe, If you only knew how I feel right now. I know it's part of the game but I am ready to...well , never mind but I'm sure you know where I'm coming from.
I've had carb apart twice, I then took the intake manifold off to have a look. Ripped the gasket-made another, you know the drill!
Tried two plugs, one out of a working Honda, great purple spark even when I kick it over with the wheel up, I'm sure it's working. Have tried to spray gas into carb.Sparkplug was wet when I pulled the plug,seems to be getting gas.
Only two things eating away at me. Did I pull a bonehead move and screw up the wiring.Hate the thought of that because I hot glued and taped all joints and the thought of redoing it all makes me get very angry.
Only other thing I can think of is the fact that I have a very hard time peddling with the jackshaft. I think that is why SBP says to make sure the engine is running good. While I understand that , the whole point of starting a new build with all new parts is to start fresh. I have a very hard time getting the motor to spin fast and it seems like every time my left foot gets near the top of my "stroke", I seem to lose whatever momentum I had.
Not once did it fire. I guess nobody knows for sure if it would still spark if I had mixed up the wiring eh? I guess I'll wait a few minutes to warm up and take the wires apart.
To be continued..........

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It's funny that you mentioned that because I was starting to think that way when I saw that fuel was dripping from the muffler. I shut the fuel off and took the plug out and peddled it down the street. I then put the plug back in and tried with fuel off and then on. It would still not even fire.
I've brought it into my living room now. I am going nuts! I tell myself to leave it for now but I can't help myself. I think I'll have a look for a broken key on the Magneto after I have a look at the blue/black wires.
I'll tel you one thing, you don't know what kind of shape you are in until you try to peddle this thing a few times. Thankfully I have the electric to help me get moving but I still have to peddle to turn the motor over.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I truly am a bonehead!
When I lengthened my wires, I used a black and white wire. When I got to the CDI, I crossed them, I can see it now. What gets me is that some builders will just twist the wires up and go riding. I take the time to solder, hot glue the joints and tape and hide my wires and I still blow it. Lesson to be learned, the bike will still spark when wires are crossed.
It's almost funny.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Vroom Vroom!
I'm in love with my Baby again.
7 hours over a goofy mistake.
Not much power yet but ya goota love that shift kit, took me e few minutes to figure out that you must be peddling to change gears. I'm a funny guy as he chuckles to himself.
I'll be able to sleep tonight...lol

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You fooled me with that video MB-Monkey. I thought, great idea, about time someone did that. Five seconds later I realized that ya got me!

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
lesson learned is just because there appears to be spark doesn't mean there is spark should be a bright blue arc the purple should have given it away. good luck with it. i am plotting my next build right now

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Hey Toy,
A little confused why you need to pedal to shift. Are you trying to use the clutch when shifting? Not necessary. You are correct that the gears need to be spinning to shift. Just accelerate and when you want to shift, let off the throttle slightly, shift gears and reapply the throttle. No clutch necessary. When coming to a stop simply down shift into first whenever you want, the freewheel will just make the bike coast so you could be doing 60mph and shift into 1st and it won't make a difference. Then when you are about to come to a complete stop pull in the clutch. Hope this helps.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Yes, you are right, I was just confused. It takes a bit of time to figure things out. I can now start the bike with my right foot only, I just get it in the 2 o'clock position when I'm rolling and it starts by the time my peddle is at the 6 o'clock. One thing I did learn though is to make sure it's "in gear" before moving. I had come to a stop sign and I don't think the chain was on the teeth because when I took off, everything went into the spokes, tearing my derailleur into bits.
There are other things you need to get used to, one being the lag that happens because of all the chains . When I'm coasting I can go "vroom vroom" as if it were in neutral.
It's really is amazing being able to start off from a stop without having to peddle and when in high gear it sure is nice to hear the motor at a low rpm. I never thought of it until now but I guess gas mileage will improve, along with the service life of the engine.
I guess in the morning, I'll try what you said about being able to shift into first at high speed.
Thanks.