Starving for Gas

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, if it has a fuel enrichening circuit (in place of a choke plate) are you SURE you don't have the "choke" (fuel enrichening circuit) on?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
With the fuel enrichment type of carb, the "choke" lever is usually down when on, the opposite of the stock carb.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you might be running out of fuel. take the fuel line off and see how fast it will drain out of the tank these tanks seem to have quite alot of rust and slag and just plain ol $hit in them all of that stuff likes to settle out right at the petcock on the inside of the tank a little vibs and it will seal off the petcock take the petcock out and see if the fine screen is full of poo it will screw out of the petcock you can either leave it off or clean it and reinstall it but flush out your tank before putting it back in.
If you think you have a intake leak spray a little carb cleaner around the intake manifold where it mounts on the cylinder if its leaking the engine can either rev up or even die and do the same at where the carb mounts on the intake manifold. to correct the leaks replace the intake gasket with a good one you can get good gasket material at a car parts store then make your gasket you can also put on a very thin coat of gasket sealer on both sides before installing it, the factory ones are not good enough to wipe your rear end with. the surface of the manifold or cylinder can sometimes be a bad mismatch and can be corrected by (filing the cylinder do this only if you know what you are doing so it will be true and flat) and hand lapping the intake manifold with wet dry sandpaper on a sheet of glass 320 grit is what I like. The round end of the manifold can be sealed by using silicone rtv I have a post in the classic bike repairs or what ever its called on the carb tear down and rebuild. I show how to use the rtv on the manifold to get it to seal. I do not like or recommend putting a o-ring inside of the carb to seal it as it has not worked for me and that thing can get loose and your engine will eat it which can sometime go right on through and not cause a problem or it can snag on the piston or rings and then its rebuild time.
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
spud wrench?! probably but under a different name. I did have a couple of spud guns had a ball with them shot up the woods and those big paper wasps nests made some bees mad as 5ell.