my bike ... the lethal threat

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
the bike - its a standard beach cruiser i bought from sports athurity, single speed rear hub brakes. orange and black.

the motor - standard grubee gt5 kit

well when i got my kit in the mail i was unhappy with the quality it seemed verry cheap and the ports were horrible!!!!! the carb looked good but the exhaust was a huge hunk of heaving useless steel and the gas tank had crud in it. all the fins on the motor looked like they were cast by a someone who clearly did not care, in fact i never saw a motor in my life with sutch low standards, i swear i thought i got ripped off and that it would not run or well at least barly run.

and i was right !!!! i did not want to run this thing stock as is.. i realy didnt ... but i got impatiant waiting for my bike to arive and adhd kiked in and i bolted it up as per the provided directions to a crap bike i had out back. first let me say that whoever invented this rear sprocket mount syst needs a good punch in the face lol !!! its way too over complicated. the amount of time it takes to bolt all tenthousand bolts rubber pads and half moon brackets to the spolks off all places could have been spent machining a 2 peice aluminum hub adapter... they should just come with one who wants an engine turqeing there spokes anyway ?

well first of i ran a 44t rear on a 26inch mountain bike as a tester bike and was sorly disapointed. it had no power no throtle responce and smoked at 16:1 ... i mean 16:1 realy ? who on earth recomends that ? do they run used tractor oil in there 2 strokes in china ? i never heard of a mixture so lean ! to put it bluntly i was not impressed and had to pedal a lot to help the motor it could not even tackle a small hill. figuring i wasted my money any way i tore it apart and began moding it my way like i should have from the begining i mean what was i thinking ? i am a great mechanic who has restored many motorcycles dirt bikes atv's and my baby girl.... an frame up resto of a 1982 honda big red 200es !

i did what i could with it before i found this forum and all the sweet upgrade parts available. i do however think i did a great job with the stock motor and no real high end mods as you will see.

1- i decked the head down .1 the compresion was like 6:1 way to low for me so i took a lot off. then polished the chamber
2- i ported the jug like crazy taking a lot off the bottom of the intake and top of the exhaust also made them wider and rounder and cleaned up the transfer ports. i noticed the piston sat a little to far into the jug so i decked that down about .05
3- the piston a lot of work was done to it ... i saw at tdc it covered a lot of the intake and it was heavy so i just strait up cut a full 1/4 inch off the intake side of the piston and then saw that the transfer ports were partialy covered by it and the intake port was also blocked by it AGAIN ! at bdc !!! WOW poor design . so i cut ramps into the piston in the shape of a 4 leaf clover patern in the top of the piston matching all the ramps to the corrosponding ports

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
4- i then port matched the exhaust and intake manifold
5- gutted the exhaust and fixed a larger stinnger pipe on the end bigger diamiter for air flow
6- use thin copper sheet for a gasket for a lil more comp
7- bought a heavy dutie chain at a bike shop
8- painted to my liking...lol
9- nkg plug wired direct (no boot)
10- swapped out cheap bolts for better stainless ones
the bike is a whole new animal now !!!!!!! it runs as i would expect it should and sounds a lot deeper in tone and has even a small growl to it when reved or under load !!

i would say i doubled the power of the stock motor at least !!! because the bike will do a wheelie now !!! i can get my cruiser to wheelie at 15 mph when it hit the powwer band !!!! for just modding the original stock parts a person can get a great running powerfull motor from thease trashy kits !!! as long as your willing to put the work in dremeling and doing the math on the port correcting ... you can make this little engine rock with nothing but stock modded parts ...

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
my compresion is up around 140lbs avr reading and i am now running a nkg plug with 93 oct at 40:1 full synthetic mix and got rid of the stock plug boot and hard wired the plug direct to the wire.

the differance between a stock motor and a motor where all the stock parts have been modded fixed and polished and milled is insane !!!! it feels like a one speed mini dirt bike and that is how it should feel ! before it was like a cheap china scooter with a blown ring on its last leg ... i swear i got ripped off lol.

anyway pics

edit why wont it let me post pics ? it keeps telling me the images are too large and failed to resize ??

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
try this but you have to be a member with a few poast before you can put the pictures on................Curt

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13551

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13741
yeh i tried manage att but it wont let me upload anything lol and insert url just kiks me off the page... getting pretty agrivated... e cigarett forum and bb.com automaticly resize and post them for you right from your pc this is more dificult

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You better keep a close eye on those fenders or your "Lethal Threat" might be more accurately named than you intended!
Watch the engine mount hole in the frame for cracking as well.
I NEVER drill the frame. I prefer the u-bolt mounts for oversize tubes. Much less damaging to the reliability of the frame.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
some pics of the mods i did to make the stock exhaust flow free and sound better . it has a growl now and sort of a four stroke grunt under load. i would love to weld up an expantion chamber for this but for now this is the best i can get from the stock parts. after the phot i added a 2.5in long stinger with holes preferated in it to add some back presure and quiet it down .

basicly i gutted the cat and hollowed it out creating a makeshift expantion chamber then drilled a 1inch hole in the cap so the engine could breath 100% free no restriction and gave it a test run... very loud with a noticable amout of more top end pul and higher mid rang but lost some low end so i used the bolt hole to make a washer and tube syst that would allow me to change out washers or tube of various sizes to change backpreasure with only a screwdriver ! just ad a washer to the screw and part of the washer covers the 1 in hole add a bigger washer and more of the hole is covered thus creating more back preasure... i also have three diff ID tubes that fit though the hole and can be held in by the verry same washers if i want to add a stinger to quiet it down .
simple adjustable exhaust mod to the stock muff.

Attachments

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
You better keep a close eye on those fenders or your "Lethal Threat" might be more accurately named than you intended!
Watch the engine mount hole in the frame for cracking as well.
I NEVER drill the frame. I prefer the u-bolt mounts for oversize tubes. Much less damaging to the reliability of the frame.

yeh the fenders were floppy when i got it so i rivited them to the bracket they had been previously bolted to they are pretty solid ... it was one of the first things i did to the bike

and as for the bolt through the frame........ yeh i know i just wanted to ride it lol... i got to get the bike up to my fathers shop in NH to mill out an aluminum brace for it and sleeve it, we have plenty of stock and all the right tools ... a bridgport miller and 2 lathe's even a surface plate and inspection equipment, just got to bring it the next visit, he wants to pull the top end off anyway and inspect my port timing lol he still thinks hes the best and only he can do it right lol. i actually cant wait to get it up there so i can machine some real motor mounts ! the ones that came free seem like they could snap at any minuite !!! the aluminum the case is made from is verry soft and cheap feeling and the clamps they provide are the same alloy. plus i want my dad to correct the port timing and balance the crank for me ! he has been a harley davidson mechanic for 30 years !! corboue customs was the shops name before he retired. it means the raven customs in french.

i wwill prob make a 1/4 in thick sleve in halves and weld it together on the frame then weld motor mounts to the 1/4 thick sleeve using 1/4 aluminum bar stock ... just simple flat plate mount welded to the sleeve with slotts instead of holes so i can slide the motor as needed. it wil bolt up to the original 2 holes . as for the rear i am planning on doing the same sleeve it weld a simple plate with slots and use the 2 bolt holes i trhe case. the slots will allow for the engine to be adjusted for chain length and angle for the carb.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i see lots of parts for this type of motor but i do not have much money so the upgrades i was planning on were

1 get the puch 70 cc hi hi head drill out the stud holes to 8mm 30$
2 balance the crank .. i need my fathers expertice and tools to get that done free
3 put a thumb throttle on from my old three wheeler parts box free
4 ether weld up or buy an expantion chamber and header... i will probably just weld one up as i am cheap and so is a sheet of steel lol i just need to find the right designe to copy to get the right size and shape and header lenght for this motors rpm and desired powerband range 4,000 plus it should kick in? free to 80$ mabey...
5 bend and weld a smooth curving long intake manifold that is the CORRECT size for this motor and match it perfectly to the intake and carb. free

also what is on the market for clutch mods for this motor ? better pads stronger spring ?

and does a 9 tooth drive gear exsist ?

i would also love to machine up a clone of the manic mechanic sprocket adapter or one similar. i cant justify 100$ on a part i can make mysef lol mabet even just a all metal one that bolts easyer to the spolks ?
.wee.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
right now with the stock modded motor and 44t rear running on 93 oct 40:1 full synthetic the bikes top speed on a flat is 35mph before it just rev's out and wont pull anymore, but i can cruise for miles comfortably at around 25-30 and it pulls even the steep new england hills around here at 15-20 no pedaling !!!

i cant wait to upgrade the exhaust and add a better head and a lil more compresion for low end grunt. the point of the build is to get as much reliable midrange riding power as possable on a budget.

i think for me a 66cc correctly ported and timed with a big finned high comp head and a nice perfectly tunned exhaust and a long intake with nice smooth bends will get me to where i want to be with a 40t rear sprocket

does that sound like a good budget setup for all around midrange power bike ? i do not need to push over 40 but i am looking for the most power i can get at around the 20 -30 mile an hour range

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
thanks for your info--
i am challenged to get the kit engines to do what is possible and your experience is great encouragement

keep it coming

CranbrookKid

Jul 14, 2013
Western MA
Nice to see someone from MA. You said you wanted 8mm head studs? My kit motor came with those and it looks like you have a similar kit. I have ordered a puch head, it'll be nice to see if it makes a difference.