Idler wheels vs sprockets

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
From reading posts about homemade tensioners, it really seems like a lot of folks are high on using skateboards wheels instead of sprockets on tensioners. Can someone explain to me the benefit of a roller wheel over a sprocket designed to roll chain? Seems like the milled skate wheel options would still ad resistance and buzz as the irregular shape of the chain lumps over it. Seems like there are a lot of options out there for idler sprockets for go karts, farm implements etc. Why aren't people using them? Is it just that a wheel is "good enough" and cheap?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My guess would be that using a sprocket instead or a "wheel" would require a lot more attention to chain alignment and tension. A sprocket would be much less forgiving of a chain that was not properly aligned with its drive and driven sprockets. Also the chain tension will play into how well an idler sprocket would perform.

There is also the consideration of the composition of the sprocket used as a tensioner. Some will suggest using one from an old derailer mechanism. I suspect that if you research this you'll find that many derailer sprockets are made of plastic which might not stand up to the rigors of the engine drive chain. There are high end derailer sprockets made of machined aluminum with good bearings as opposed to the cheaper, plastic ones that have a simple bushing.

As for noise and friction, I don't really see how a soft polyurethane wheel with good bearings would add any resistance to the drive chain. Properly aligned with the chain path, the wheel should spin almost effortlessly and with little noise or drag applied to the system.

That's one opinion. You'll get others.

tom

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
OK, so the softness of the polyurethane wheels is able to quiet the buzz that would be there on a hard wheel, well enough to make it not worth spending the time to properly set up a sprocket? I'm asking because I have old fairly low durometer roller blade wheels sitting around that I could use for this purpose, but I also don't mind taking the time to set up a sprocket if a sprocket will deliver smoother chain flow since I'll have to either spend time making a wheel, or tweaking fitment of a sprocket. I would have no intention of using plastic derailleur pulleys for that, many of those don't actually ride on a real bearing. They also aren't wide enough to stably support a 41 chain that I presently have on my bike since they are designed for a 3/16" roller width. So I guess I'll just start with a wheel since I have some and go to a sprocket if I don't like the wheel.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When choosing a skate board wheel keep in mind that some of the cheaper versions are actually a two piece construction. They will have a hard plastic inner core with a softer outer layer. These don't lend themselves well to our application. When you try to groove the wheel for the chain they will come apart, the outer layer separating from the inner much like a truck tire retread.

Look for wheels that are made/molded in one piece and preferably ones with a good roller bearing. Also make sure the wheel/groove is aligned with the chain path. That often requires a slight twist in the bracket or mount to get the center of the wheel to align with the chain. This is true even with the kit supplied tensioner bracket. A step that many new builders neglect and is the cause of so much chain/sprocket problems such as chain derailment and noise.

Good luck.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Best thing I have done to my bike!! Made it a lot quieter, smoother --- mucho better! I've probably got 250 miles on it and there's absolutely no wear. I can now pedal the bike as if there's not an additional chain on it. It's really that good.

Attachments