Tearing my hair out! Help sprocket mounting

GoldenMotor.com

newman8r

Aug 17, 2013
South Padre Island, Texas
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and the Motorized Bicycle life and I am almost tearing my hair out...

I am trying to install an 80cc engine on my 26'' Schwinn Del Mar men's beach cruiser and I can't seem to get the rear sprocket straight. I already boogered up one axle, and the replacement is almost done.

How do I install the sprocket properly?!?! Every time my chain peels right off.

I am so frustrated with it. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Re: Tearing my hair out! Help!!!

There are a few degrees of freedom with adjusting the sprocket/chain. First, with the rag-joint nuts/bolts loose be sure the sprocket's axis is reasonably well centered on the axle. Next, tighten down the nuts in a star-pattern; every 4th nut around the clock, this'll assure that the sprocket is parallel to the wheel. Now, make sure this sprocket is planer to the engine-sprocket; this is the most important requirement, should be within 1/4 of the chain's width. You can eyeball this. Chain slack is also very important; I'm a big proponent of using the kit-provided "tensioner". When properly installed, it will save you a lot of heartbreak. It serves two valuable functions: it takes up slack, and fine-tunes the path of the chain as it meets the 7-o'clock of the sprocket. Don't be afraid to bend the tensioner's guide-rod to suit your configuration's requirements. Also, as for keeping the spockets planer: you can fine-tune the wheel-sprocket by both flipping the spocket (dish-in or dish-out), and playing with spacer-sizes on the axle.

Good luck.