clutch wont disengage

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i was going down a hill and when i got to the bottom i engaged the clutch and then it wouldn't disengage. the lever is moving but the engine is still moving with the clutch. did something break?

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Check to see if the cable moves freely with the clutch arm disconnected. My kit came with a frayed cable brand new, and it stuck inside the jacket.
Walmart sell packs of asst. cables for under $6.00.....

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Maybe the little pin that hold the clutch actuator in place is broken or fell out. Can you just slide the clutch arm out of the cover?

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Take the clutch cover off, pull the pin out (in the center of the sprocket) and stick a magnet in the hole to see if the ball bearing is inside there. It should come out with a magnetic pickup, or maybe just lean the bike over and it might roll out. I dont see how you would lose it while riding though, maybe just need to adjust the star nut on the opposite side, turn it in a notch or two...

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm thinking the cable end just slid a little and when you pull in the clutch, it's not moving the arm enough.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
After running the motor for a while, my cable would heat up and the clutch would no longer fully disengage. Could be something like that happening to you.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
How did you fix it? (c)
I never actually fixed it, I had that problem right up till the motor bit the dust. Pretty sure the cable would heat up to the point where it would "give" a little and so not as much tension would be on the clutch arm. I will be getting a new clutch cable to correct that issue though.

I don't think that big spring is much of a heat shield.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Get rid of the spring. Then push the arm towards the center of the bike until you feel it stop. Pull the cable tight and tighten down the screw on the brass collar. You should be set.

lovetoride

Mar 18, 2009
Houston, Tx.
Hi! I am also new at posting on this forum. Although I joined the forum back in March of this year, I have never posted until now. So anyway, I have a loose something or nother on the right side of my engine and I don't know if it came loose from the vibration or what but it controls my clutch arm, (I'm guessing that's what you are calling it) and right now it is locked and frozen in the engaged position. The clutch cable is ok. But whatever that thing is on the right side of the engine is loose and I can pull it out of that hole. I'm just wondering if its something that I can fix myself. I am no mechanical expert, just mechanically inclined and I am wondering if it is something that will be easy enough for me to fix. I know those 2 plates on the side, can be unscrewed. Before I attempt to do anything, first I want some guidance and what am I going to find if I unscrew the plate with that loose bolt, or pin or whatever you call it at the top? I'm not sure what I need to do until I go in there and see.

Last edited: