Whats the best chain for the bike engine?

GoldenMotor.com

joelnotroll

Jun 11, 2009
san diego
The first time I rode my bike with the engine on it, the master link broke. I assume this is due to my chain being too tight. For some reason, the chain was pretty short.

I would like to replace my chain with some heavy duty chain that will be reliable.
Ive read that #41 roller chain will work, with some grinding.

Are there differences in #41 chain?

It seems that locally it goes for about $40 for 10 ft. I found this on the walmart website that is a lot less expensive; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Farmex-Speeco-6411-Roller-Chain-41-10-Foot-Each/22235571

And what does it take to make #41 chain work? What needs to be grinded out?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are no modifications needed to use #41 chain. It is an exact replacement for the #415 that comes with most 2 stroke engine kits.

As far as your master link breaking, you need to check how it is installed. If the open end of the retaining clip faces forward on the top chain run there is a good chance it can snag inside the clutch actuator cover and be loosened or removed completely.
Always make sure the clip open end faces the rear of the bike when the master link is on the top chain run.

Tom

joelnotroll

Jun 11, 2009
san diego
2door, I thought that would happen, so I made the opening face backwards, but thanks for the tip.

My chain was too short for my bike, the chain was tight and my pedal chain was sagging. I think because it was so tight, it pulled the chain and the masterlink lock piece pulled off, then when I turned it all came apart.

So is there any specific chain that would be considered heavy duty?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If there is a tractor supply near you, they sell their own brand of #41 roller chain for $20 for 10ft. I run it on my 98cc cruiser and have enough left to replace this chain when needed. As long as I own this bike, I will continue to run tractor supply 41 chain. After roughly 300 miles or so, the rollers still roll as good as the day I first installed this chain. I wouldn't buy a drive chain from Walmart. Just my $0.02.

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
KMC 415H is what I used. Got it off ebay. Had to buy 2 lengths. No need for a special breaker, just a punch. The H means heavy duty.
My stock chain was #410. It's still in the bag.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I also use hardware store #41 HD chain. The one on my Pig is still going strong with LOTS of miles in two years. (My only transportation) I did have to grind clearance under the front sprocket cover.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Look for a tractor supply or farmer type store. Mine comes from a local ma & pa hardware store that carries it just for me. I get enough in a box for two bikes.
Costs about $20 bucks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check to see if there is a 'Grainger' near you. You'd find them in the yellow pages, if anyone uses them anymore. If you prefer your computer over a telephone, search 'Grainger'. There should be a store locator on their home page. Try this> http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TS...cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Ace Hardware also carries #41 chain although some stores will need to order it in.

Tom

Last edited:

joelnotroll

Jun 11, 2009
san diego
thanks guys. the closest tsc was 230miles away. there is a grainger close, i went there a few weeks ago with my buddy and he got some #41 masterlinks, but the chain is $36 for 10'. I do think buying 10' would make sense because I will need more chain in the near future for another project.

Does anyone know the difference between #41 chain? Im looking on the sears website and they have different #41 chain for sale, some as cheap as $10 for 10'.
http://www.sears.com/search=#41 roller chain 10'

I would rather pay more money for a stronger chain. But if theyre all the same, it makes more sense to buy the most inexpensive.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Quality, quality, quality. As a rule you get what you pay for. There is some very cheap roller chain out there and there is some expensive chain. My advice is to look for a name brand such as Diamond, Browning, and a few others typically sold at industrial suppliers. I have no idea what Sears is selling but for $10. it isn't the best available.

You'll see the term, "pre-stretched" which is really a marketing misnomer. Roller chains don't 'stretch' they wear. A chain that says it has been 'pre-stretched' at the factory means that it has been subjected to a heavy load which doesn't actually stretch it, but does 'seat' all the components so there is less chance that it will loosen prematurely after installation. Higher end chains will often say they are 'pre-stretched'. Now you know what that means.

Good luck.

Tom

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I've recently installed an engine o the same frame as an old build, one of the main differences is a noticeably smaller drive chain. I thought it would be a "must replace" thing eventually but it has turned out to be heck of reliable and make little to no noise and has not got stuck once. (i filed the little gear to be rounder). I feel like it has increased my performance because it has given me the ability to stop having to worry about the chain, and it's lighter too.

I'm now looking into a high quality ultra-lite chain instead of one of those 415/hds